Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A surprise for Diadumenian at Nicopolis ad Istrum  (Read 1208 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
A surprise for Diadumenian at Nicopolis ad Istrum
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:16:27 pm »
When I was shown this coin, knowing that the specimen I had of this obv. die (DHa on my web page) was in bad shape, I realized that I 'had to have it'.  And I had a different rev. die.  Malcolm (Diadumenian, p. 107, NIC4.28e) has the same die pair.  Neither of us, however, had the reverse legend fully preserved.  Well, it did look like an Agrippa, didn't it?
But no.  Read for yourself: VP STATI LONGINOV NIKOPOLITÔN PROS IS and in exergue TRÔ.  What prompted the mint men to order this rather 'Augustan', somewhat hieratic portrait of the ten-year-old lad, and that not at the end of his father's reign but more or less in the middle?
As usual, when the coins are almost all the evidence we have, we can only ask.
But isn't it, if I say so myself, a beautiful die (even if we like the tender, childlike ones better, as a rule)?  And isn't that a nice dignified Hygieia, offering her snake for once solid food (so that we don't have to point out that snake tongues are not for lapping)?
Just having a bare bust is quite remarkable for the boy.  Notice, too, that ANTÔN[--- preceded his own original name on the obverse.
Pat L.
CLICK

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: A surprise for Diadumenian at Nicopolis ad Istrum
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 10:38:13 am »
What a beautiful coin! I agree that the portrait is fantastic, but that may be due in some part to the nice state of preservation. All in all, very nice!

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 04:34:56 pm »
Is that an egg she's offering the snake?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 06:14:14 pm »
A wonderful coin! Often the snake is feeded with a cake made of cereal mash. But here it looks actually like an egg.

Best regards

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 10:02:12 pm »
I prefer, tentatively, to think of it as like the apparent cake that Asklepios himself offers to his familiar snake.  For one thing, making cakes, often not baked but mashed and soaked, is even today not dead in traditional Greek religious usage.  And I suppose I ought to confess that Robert Graves' Penguin books (2 vols.) on Greek myths put me "off of eggs" generally, even when they arren't 'World eggs'.  I suspect that the ancient social equivalent to women's altar guilds liked to get together and concoct very carefully, devotedly, these ambrosial cakes—ambrosial in the literal sense.
Pat L.

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 11:50:00 pm »
The coming and going of posts around here lately has reminded me to express my appreciation of this smashing coin!  George S.
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 01:50:13 am »
A great coin indeed - thanks for sharing that one, Pat.  I've never seen one of those so well preserved and it certainly firms up the legends.

For some reason alot the Hygieia type reverses of coins at the mint appear "rusty" - (at least mine do) - but this one is a beauty

Malcolm

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 04:04:31 pm »
This one got scoured in cleaning, but is another contribution to the dies paired with the unique Head obverse of Longinus for Diadumenian.  It is sad when a scarce coin is abused, even if accidentally.   All I can do is:
Pick Obv 1793 (head)   1792 (half-draped Zeus).
Longinus Diad DHa   Rev.  ?
But it seems to be the same as Bacchus' Diadumenian NIC4.43d
Pat L.
CLICK

All coins are guaranteed for eternity