Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nice lot of Bulgarian fake denarii I just bought  (Read 1082 times)

Offline saholz

• Consul
Nice lot of Bulgarian fake denarii I just bought
« on: April 09, 2008, 03:58:47 pm »
I just bought these five coins from a Bulgarian seller.  To his credit, he is advertising them as fakes and is selling them as such.  I bought these five because they were inexpensive...$10-$12 each...and looked good enough to peak my curiousity.

They are nice looking fakes indeed.  The quality of the engraving strikes me as quite good, and the style of the coins is reasonable.  There are no casting seams evident, except the Hadrian which has a very fine seam visible in spots, but the edges of the flans appear unnnaturally sharp.  None of the coins are marked "copy", so it would be very easy to pass these off as originals, especially to unsuspecting buyers.

Based on this very small sample, it seems to me that the quality of cheap fake denarii is getting much, much better.

Stan

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Nice lot of Bulgarian fake denarii I just bought
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 04:56:53 pm »
Make sure that each one gets added to the Fake Reports!

Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 05:11:06 pm »
All those coins are represented in the fake reports already. A nice detailed image of each would be useful. You can copy the existing records when you add them or email me the images and I will add them for you.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Galaxy

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 06:50:40 pm »
Scary. The Geta, and Macrinus, in particular, would be quite convincing if they were worn and aged artificially.

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 06:54:28 pm »
The Geta does look pretty good, the others aren't too deceptive. 
Adversus solem ne loquitor

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 12:02:23 am »
These aren't scary, they are replicas. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline saholz

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 09:33:57 am »
These aren't scary, they are replicas. 

This brings up an interesting question.  What, then, is the difference between a replica and a fake?

To me, a replica is a coin which is clearly marked as such on the body of the coin so that it can not be easily misrepresented as something it is not.  It is sold as nothing more than a replica.

A fake, IMHO, is a coin which has no marking on it that would indicate it is not an authentic piece and, therefore, may be misrepresented as real.  It may be sold as a replica, but that intitial sale is only one step in its potential chain of ownership.  The quality of the coin is not paramount, since many poor quality reproductions are routinely represented as authentic.  You only have to look back at the flood of cheap bronze fakes that infiltrated lots of uncleaned coins a few years ago to see my point.  Even these coins were not initially condemned as fakes, as bad as they were.  I know, because I posted several of these right here when they first hit the market and all were accepted as either ancient imitations or just oddly styled authentic coins.

These stamped (I think) Bulgarian silver coins have no markings on them which would indicate they are copies.  Their style, while not perfect, especially in the lettering, is good enough to fool many casual collectors.  I've tested a couple, and they clean up just like real silver.  If artificially worn and toned, I believe it would be hard to pick them up as copies.  While these were sold as replicas, I would bet you that, with a liitle work, I could list these on an auction site as originals and generate a bidding frenzy.  I won't, because it's unethical and fraudulent, but I wouldn't be surprised to see these Bulgarian coins listed by some budding young fake sellers in the near future.

Stan

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 11:22:33 am »
We've all seen bidding frenzies whipped up by coins that are obviously fake even from twenty paces, so whether they look good or real or like replicas or whatever seems to have no bearing on what stupid people will bid on.
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 11:31:16 am »
In my opinion "replica" and "fake" are synonymous terms.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Galaxy

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 01:50:32 pm »
They are scary when one considers that with some artificial aging/wear they would probably fool many collectors. Replicas must be marked as such, as far as I'm aware. And the difference between a replica and a forgery is intent, much the same as the difference between manslaughter and murder is intent. I realize I'm arguing semantics, but it seems that's already on the table ;)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity