Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek or early Roman?  (Read 845 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Greek or early Roman?
« on: September 19, 2007, 03:06:32 pm »
I found this puzzling coin:
What appears to be the head of Apollo to the left
of the text only an 'N' is visible
Reverse: what looks like part of a horse surmounted by a star or flower.
There is a certain similarity to the didrachm Crawford 15, but as far as I know such a coin in copper is unknown.
The flan is clipped or highly irregular and weighs about 6 grams according to the seller.

Who can shed some light upon this ancient mystery?

Frans

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Greek or early Roman?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 03:31:43 pm »
Looks like Caleno in Campania. Laureate head of Apollo / Man-headed bull. Not near any books to look it up right now. Obverse legend should read CALENO.

Barry Murphy

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 03:56:11 pm »
Thanks Barry!

Could the 'C' be below Apollo's head?

Frans

PS there should be a Nike above the bull according to Van Wielink:http://www.bio.vu.nl/home/vwielink/WWW_MGC/index.html

F

PPS I keep changing this reply: see there are many examples on Coinarchives; coin could be held like this:

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 11:08:41 pm »
Now I'm home and can look it up. Your coin is clearly Caleno. You have it positioned correctly in your initial photo.

There are varieties with a star (SNG France 463-469), Nike (SNG France 470-474) and a lyre (SNG France 448-462). Most have additional letters or symbols below the bull on the reverse, but your coin appears to be too worn to see this.

Barry Murphy

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 04:20:59 am »
Thank you Barry,
You've been a great help!

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity