Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine & His Mommy  (Read 1078 times)

AnemicOak

Constantine & His Mommy
« on: November 06, 2006, 11:50:29 pm »
Just had to share these two Constantine's & one Helena I picked up.  I'm pretty excited about them...hope you like them.

Constantine I / Mars / Trier
Attribution: RIC 776 (RIC VI)
Mint: Trier, PTR
Date: 307-308 AD
Obverse: IMP C CONSTANTINVS PF AVG, Bust of Constantine right
Reverse: MARTI PATRI PROPVGNATORI, Mars advancing right, S/A in fields, PTR in exergue
Size: 24.6mm x 26.9mm
Weight: 6.49 grams

Constantine I / Globe On Altar / Lugdunum (Lyons)
Attribution: RIC 129 (RIC VII)
Mint: Lugdunum (Lyons), PLG
Date: 321 AD
Obverse: CONSTAN_TINVS AVG, Laureate, cuirassed bust right
Reverse: BEATA TRAN_QVILLITAS, Globe on Altar inscribed VO TIS XX, C R across field, PLG in exergue
Size: 19.84mm
Weight: 2.8 grams

Helena / Mother of Constantine I / Siscia
Attribution: RIC 204 (RIC VII)
Mint: Siscia, ESIS
Date: 326-327 AD
Obverse: FL HELENA AUGUSTA, Helena facing right
Reverse: SECURITAS REIPUBLICE, Helena standing left, holding branch, ESIS in exergue
Size: 18mm x 20.5mm
Weight: 3.2 grams

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: Constantine & His Mommy
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 11:10:07 am »
I wonder if you put them in order of your own appreciation, but I personally like C's Trier Mars portrait best - wonderful! and strong! The Helena has a very impressive reverse depiction and a fantastic patina! Probably cost you a bundle, but they are worth it!

Frans

AnemicOak

Re: Constantine & His Mommy
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 01:47:32 pm »
I wonder if you put them in order of your own appreciation, but I personally like C's Trier Mars portrait best - wonderful!

Of the three the Mars is definately my favorite.  It's interesting to note how big and heavy it is compared to coins from just a few years later.

I think the Helena is great too, now I want to find a Fausta in a similar state.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity