Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Artificial patination and bronze disease  (Read 885 times)

Offline Aleph

• Consul
Artificial patination and bronze disease
« on: October 24, 2021, 11:21:22 am »
There seems to be a great number of artificially patinated coins on the market in recent years.  While I am not opposed in theory so long as it is non destructive and tastefully done, the problem I am encountering is what happens to this patina when the coin is treated for bronze disease.  What I am finding is that following prolonged treatment in distilled water and dilute sodium sesquicarbonate (just enough to ensure the solution is not acidic) at room temperature is bringing out a splotchy green patina.  Should I try to repatinate the coins?  Should I try and push this treatment longer to complete the removal of the new patina?  Any suggestions?

I see this topic was also briefly mentioned in this past thread
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=56295.msg350027#msg350027

Thanks!

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Artificial patination and bronze disease
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 08:10:03 pm »
The problem with artificially patinated coins, in many cases, is real and stable patina is removed before it's applied.  Often this is done to get something like a faked desert patina.

I prefer to avoid such coins altogether if I suspect any patina manipulation.

For BD in general, see here for some good tips:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=bronze%20disease
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity