Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Seal of Baanes 6th Century? Armenian Name? 22.79 mm 14.23 g  (Read 429 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Seal of Baanes 6th Century? Armenian Name? 22.79 mm 14.23 g
« on: October 22, 2021, 12:23:13 pm »
I just received an interesting seal.  It measures 22.79 mm and weighs 14.23 g. 

On the obverse is a cruciform monogram   within an ornamental ring. Θεοτόκε βοήθι.

On the reverse is a cruciform monogram  :A3:   :Greek_Beta: :Greek_Nu:  :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon_2: within an ornamental ring. 

I believe that it solves as Θεοτόκε βοήθι. Βαάνου = Theotokos, help. (Seal of) Baanes and dates to the late 6th century.  I think Baanes is an Armenian name.  Is my attribution correct?

The Dumbarton Oaks Collection has a seal with a similar monogram.  BZS.1947.2.1752  The curators wrote "In his unpublished catalogue of the seals of the Shaw collection, Laurent prefers Ἰωβιανοῦ (Iobianos), although the Ω is not present, as he claims that this is too early for the appearance of the name Baanes. However, that seems unlikely, and indeed, there is no reason that the Armenian name Baanes could not be read in the seventh century, or perhaps even in the late sixth, as other seals in our collection attest. "

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Seal of Baanes 6th Century? Armenian Name? 22.79 mm 14.23 g
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 02:01:55 pm »
Yes, that monogram reads Baanou. Seal is hard to date precisely, could be late 6th, but also 7th. The name is Greek form of Armenian Vahan.
Regards
GErt

All coins are guaranteed for eternity