Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Looking for opinion - remove tag or not? Tetricus Ant  (Read 950 times)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Looking for opinion - remove tag or not? Tetricus Ant
« on: August 28, 2021, 01:03:31 pm »
Looking for learned opinions here.  I've acquired a Tetricus I billon Antoninianus (albeit a very low alloy coin).  Its is a decent example, but long ago someone stock a catalogue label on it, which has since darkened.  I'm assuming the coin saw moisture, oil or wax at some point in the past that oxidized the label.  It was sold as having an old museum tag adhered to it.

I'm debating whether to remove the tag to expose the full obverse, or to leave it as it it.  What do you all think?  Leave it be, or try to remove it? 

If you vote for removal, how best to initially proceed?  Water soak and tweazers?

Here's the coin (which is attributed in my gallery, RIC Vb 146.)

My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: Looking for opinion - remove tag or not? Tetricus Ant
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 02:48:54 pm »
First it's hard to decide if it's an official issue considering the lettering and style; but I'd say yes it is. Secundo, I don't know if tou should remove the tag from it. But if you do, it would be easier to attribute it precisely; if the legend is IMP C TETRICVS PF AVG with the radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, AGK rated the coin C5. But if the legend is IMP C TETRICVS PF AVG with the radiate and ONLY cuirassed bust, then it is rated R4..But the tag is kinda hiding the lower part of the bust...
DT

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 03:36:13 pm »
If you want to remove it, I would try water first. With tweazers you might damage the coin. With water, and if you are lucky, the writing on the label might become visible.

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 05:12:50 pm »
Might water 'jump start' an undesirable reaction on the coin? I don't know what the small blue-green area is, behind the head on the reverse (I understand this is not the area you would be working on). I don't know what reaction, if any, alcohol might have on the coin's surface and the tag. Maybe alcohol would be a safer first step?

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 05:28:17 pm »
For myself, I would leave the tag.  It doesn't detract from the coin in my opinion and it's part of its travel through time.  I don't think there's any harm in leaving it as is.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 05:56:04 pm »
First it's hard to decide if it's an official issue considering the lettering and style; but I'd say yes it is. Secundo, I don't know if tou should remove the tag from it. But if you do, it would be easier to attribute it precisely; if the legend is IMP C TETRICVS PF AVG with the radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, AGK rated the coin C5. But if the legend is IMP C TETRICVS PF AVG with the radiate and ONLY cuirassed bust, then it is rated R4..But the tag is kinda hiding the lower part of the bust...
DT

I can read the whole legend, it's IMP TETRICVS, there is no C, which takes it from rare to a common coin for a gallic issue.

I think the style is OK for a late Gallic Empire issue. The ants shrunk in size and weight and the artistry went downhill toward the end. Most tetricus coins look pretty crude in my experience.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 06:13:22 pm »
Another consideration regarding the tag is its purpose. Could it be there for some other reason? Hopefully, if you do remove it, there will not be an unpleasant surprise beneath it.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 06:50:29 pm »
Well I just tried alcohol in a qtip.  It ses the label was glued on with garnet shellac. The alcohol dissolveduch of it, and the label itself was a fibrous cardstock, it reminded me of cardstock from the 1950's or earlier. I was not able to raise any lettering, but I did get the label off gently with the edge of a scalpel once it was saturated with alcohol.

I'll retake the pics and post them. It appears to be a cuirassed only bust. Not draped.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 09:16:38 pm »
ok here is an updated photo of the coin with the label removed :)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=171819

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 10:34:04 pm »
Looks like it turned out very well. No discoloration or other evidence from the tag having been there, and the surface of the coin looks to be in good condition.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 03:57:42 am »
Hi RC2,

It appears to have gone surprisingly well.

Meepzorp

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2021, 09:43:25 pm »
Looks like no harm no foul. You couldn't read the label, so no reason not to remove it. Looks just fine without it.

Virgil

Offline vrtsprb

• Praetorian
    • Coins of Probus
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 12:26:58 pm »
It was sold as having an old museum tag adhered to it.

Some of the past museum practices areā€¦ questionable. I was able to remove red and black lacquer inventory numbers with acetone.

Congratulations on a successful Tetricus surgery!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity