Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Large Greek coin to ID  (Read 622 times)

Offline Marsha

• Consul
Large Greek coin to ID
« on: June 11, 2018, 08:38:32 pm »
Athena & Prow

28mm and 17 grams

Lettering above prow (guessing) ASITTI
below prow XE

Cannot seem to find this combination

Thanks

Marsha

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Large Greek coin to ID
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 03:48:31 pm »
A ISEGRIM search brings the following result:

CARIA INS, Rhodes / rhodus. 304-166 BC. AE. Obverse: HEAD WOMAN R / ATHENA (HELMET). Reverse: SWSITIMOS C'; PROW R (RAM). LET C'.
   1. 30mm GEROJANNIS JIAN 1905 page 181 #2

The size fits and the legend SWSITIMOS sounds somehow similar to ASITTI what you have read.

Maybe you can dig out this 1905 publication somewhere to check if this is a possibilty.

Offline Marsha

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 05:02:31 pm »
Shanxi - Thanks for your assistance

Seems like this is a very close match.

I will do some additional research to dig further into this possibility.

Must be a rare one.    :)

Marsha

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 03:03:55 pm »
The article by G. Gerojannis in JIAN can be seen here, the coin is depicted: https://archive.org/stream/journalinternati89sboruoft#page/n193/mode/2up
In my eyes the legend on your coin could be ΣΟΣΙΤΙΜΟΣ as well, perhaps you could have a closer look on that.

Gerojannis refers to a coin in Friedrich Imhoof-Blumer, Monnaies Grecques, page 212, number 5: https://archive.org/stream/monnaiesgrecque00blugoog#page/n231/mode/2up
The coin is attributed to Chersonesos on Crete. On the left side of the prow there is a rose which leads Gerojannis to attribute it to Rhodes.

A specimen of this type, also with a rose on the reverse, is in the collection of the BnF: http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8570667g.r=chersonese?rk=171674;4

This seems to be a very rare type with a not so clear attribution to Rhodes.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Marsha

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 04:20:14 pm »
Altamura - Thank you so much for the comprehensive information on this coin.   I am really excited to have this rare coin type in my possession.

Marsha

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 08:35:51 pm »
Not only rare, but of such excellent style!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity