Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tauromenion Suspect  (Read 602 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Tauromenion Suspect
« on: November 14, 2015, 02:06:01 pm »
I believe this coin is a fake that was engraved on modern dies, or a transfer die that was touched up:

1.  The obverse inscription should say ARXAGETAS, but the first few letters are very unclear, despite the great state of the coin.  This makes me think the forger couldn't see what those letter were on the (presumably worn) original, and only copied the half of the letters that were visible.

2: The reverse has a strange look, and, more importantly, a circled border.  These are always dotted on the grape cluster varieties.  However, the dots on the reverse of this type are usually very close together, resembling a line, hence the forger's confusion.

3: The fields are unnaturally flat.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Tauromenion Suspect
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 10:22:33 am »
Here is the BM example, but the dotted border is usually much harder to distinguish, like on my example, also attached. 

FYI, the BM now has all its ancient Greek coins of Sicily online.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 11:27:49 am »
In comparison to the two that are certainly real, the first coin just does not look right.  False dies or re-engraved, with a false patina.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 11:57:14 am »
Comparing it to other coins from Tauromenion, beyond this variety and other man-faced bulls, the same holds true- it just doesn't look right.  Someone else suggested re-engraving off list, but to me the dies themselves are not real.

How else does one explain the obverse inscription?  Clogged dies?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 01:52:35 pm »
I suspect completely modern.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS