Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AE 10 probably Aeolis Autokane  (Read 521 times)

Offline Castvlo

• Caesar
AE 10 probably Aeolis Autokane
« on: September 11, 2015, 02:42:19 pm »
Hi!

I bought some unattributed Greeks from FORVM and having some trouble identifying them.

Please help if you can.

Bronze AE 10, Unattributed, 1.180g, 10.5mm

The coin reminds me of types of Caria, except I cannot find one with a portrait on both sides.

This one appears to have a head of Helios right / Head of Tyche right.  

Thanks

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Re: Greek AE 11, portraits on both sides Help Please
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 05:36:21 pm »
I only see one portrait..... It reminds me of an early Rhodes bronze.... are you sure that second portrait isnt a rose?

Lee.

Offline Castvlo

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 11:26:32 am »
Thanks Lee, I agree with you, except the right image is a bust.  I can see the nose and brow quite clearly in hand, under magnification.

Offline Castvlo

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 10:11:06 am »
Resembles another coin I posted that turns out to be from Aeolis Autokane, featuring Apollo / Nymph

All coins are guaranteed for eternity