Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What to do with a poor old worn Mark Athony denarius??  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
What to do with a poor old worn Mark Athony denarius??
« on: February 17, 2014, 04:06:48 pm »
So, I have this historic wonderful piece of real silver, but the problem is I don't know what to do with it..

If it was bronze it would go into my cull tub, to be scrapped, sold in bulk or donated to my Sons school... but its SILVER!!

If it was pretty I would turn it into jewellery. I have a Denarius of CATO ( https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=90355.0 , Thanks Andrew!! ) which is VERY pretty, and is hanging around my neck as I write, but this unfortunate little coin is boring on one side and quite boring on the other...  :(  , so the question remains, what to do??

I have read that these coins were not particularly good quality silver...  ( This may sound horrific to some members.. :evil:   ..  ) Would it be possible to have the coin melted down and turned into something prettier.. perhaps a ring? The provenance could be recorded, and the silver could continue with a new identity and a new lease of life...

I will probably just keep it as it is, or perhaps pass it on to a non-numismatic history fan in the hope it sparks some interest, but I am interested to hear what other Forvm members have to say on the subject...

Best wishes,

Lee. 

Offline Galaxy

• Consul
Re: What to do with a poor old worn Mark Athony denarius??
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 04:32:09 pm »
That's not a bad coin, really. You can almost read the legion number. I think it's either VII or XII. For the love of all things holy don't melt it down.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 05:21:48 pm »
The silver in the coin is worth $2. Two dollars. I'm not sure someone is going to start up a silver smelter to melt $2 worth of silver.

If it's really worthless as a coin to you, then it's a $2 slug, which places it on par with 50 cent bronze slugs in terms of value. As shown by the earlier reply, the legion number can almost be read. So it's likely worth $10 to someone as a legionary denarius, and if worthless to you, then throw it into your culled bronzes jar and give it away; it will be worth more to someone else. Don't think too much on melting or other solutions. Give it away, as an ancient Roman silver legionary denarius.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 05:33:21 pm »
I did not say it was worthless... Especially not to me, but it's the contradiction between the need to curate, and the practicalities that I find fascinating.. For me a ring made from roman silver would be worth many times the scrap value of the coin.. Like I said, I will probably keep the coin, but where does one draw the line between scrap/beauty/historical artefact?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 05:44:11 pm »
I actively collect all things Antony.  There was a time when I couldn't pass up buying a legionary like this.  I felt I had to save them all.  I've since upgraded most of them and sold the unidentifiable ones.  There are Antony fans out there that would love to have it.  In the current market I'm sure it would sell for about $20 on ebay and if the legion number can indeed be seen a bit more! 

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 06:03:56 pm »
I did not say it was worthless... Especially not to me, but it's the contradiction between the need to curate, and the practicalities that I find fascinating.. For me a ring made from roman silver would be worth many times the scrap value of the coin.. Like I said, I will probably keep the coin, but where does one draw the line between scrap/beauty/historical artefact?

I've had the same dilemma with a number of my coins. I've started to give away, rather than sell, real rarities, to collectors who would appreciate them. I have one collector friend (who is on Forum) who, in exchange for some gifted rarities, has agreed to curate them until he can hand them over to another collector who would do the same. I'm in this case talking of coins in Poor condition but where perhaps there are 5 known examples, and it's quite important not to throw even a worn slug into a jar once it has been identified. The legionaries are of course not rare, but just putting it in a flip, writing a ticket that says what it is, and then including it in a donation to Ancient Coins for Education or as part of a Christmas stocking gift to a kid is probably enough. I think you've done your duty to the coin once you ticket and flip it and then hand it on.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 05:26:59 am »
I actively collect all things Antony.  There was a time when I couldn't pass up buying a legionary like this.  I felt I had to save them all.  I've since upgraded most of them and sold the unidentifiable ones.  There are Antony fans out there that would love to have it.  In the current market I'm sure it would sell for about $20 on ebay and if the legion number can indeed be seen a bit more! 

I seem to have been upgrading Antony legionaries since about 1990. I must have bought a hundred of these coins over time. The initial ones were in basal condition like this coins, and the gradually I upgraded to Fine examples with legible legions, then I wanted some relief, then I graduated to VF coins etc. They are an amazingly difficult series to collect because although ultra common in Fair condition, even above VF and into EF they come with bad surfaces and offstrikes and flat strikes. So, you think you've a reasonable VF and then see another VF and realise how many problems your existing coin has. Then you buy that VF and see a better centred example or with a reasonable galley. So you graduate to coins described as EF and realise they also come with terrible surfaces, bad silver, flatness and offstrikes. It's not like other coin series where one can buy a nicely toned centered well struck VF+ and never upgrade it in your entire life.

Below are pictured my current legionaries (mobile phone snap, apologies for quality). I've owned many more numbers than this batch of 20 over time, but disposed of those missing numbers in very worn condition. They look not bad, but as I said, I've probably had to buy 100 legionaries to get to these 20, and every one of the 20 has problems (from the perspective of a collector of nice coins). Of these 20, LEG XI is probably the best; II and III are quite nice; XII ANTIQVAE has great surfaces but is double struck; others that look good such as IV and V have clear reverses but lousy obverses. XIX also has good surfaces but lots of flatness. They'll get better in time.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 11:53:13 am »
Thanks for the input, and thanks for sharing those wonderful coins Andrew... Even though this is not an area I have a special interest in, from a historical point of view they are interesting coins indeed.... I have one (slightly) better example of the series ( Leg VI ) in my own collection,  ( https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-101997 ) which I hope to upgrade at a later date...

I have a question though, how on earth can the legion be determined on my coin? that side is almost entirely blank, I can only make out the border dots...

One more question, if you will indulge me, Is there any relevance to the small countermarks I now realise are very common on these issues? ( I had presumed mine was damage, but after a spot of Googling I realise that many have a variety of marks in more or less the same position )

Thanks again,

Lee.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity