Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin of the Day

Forum purchase o' the day

<< < (175/183) > >>

Ron C2:
picked up this beauty from Joe recently.  Very happy with this nicely toned denarius.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=175017

cicerokid:
Even I quite like it. Is there any reason why Mart Vic ( does it have to have a reason?|) Old sept sev was a battler, pity his sons were such tossers, but that's life! I once had a few Septs but i think i deleted all pics  of my 65+ coins for NewStyles!

Ron C2:
Since few roman coin reverses were actually documented, much of the logic behind their meaning is scholarly guess work.  The dictionary of Roman Coins, one of the few references to discuss reverse motif meanings has this to say about the Marti Victori reverse:

--- Quote ---MARTI VICTORI.----In noticing this legend of Pescennius Niger, Vaillant (Pr. ii. 204) observes that Mars, in his quality of presiding over war seems to have had the cognomen of Victor assigned to him; and that, as the coins bearing that epigraph denote, it is probable that Pescennius performed sacrifices to the God of Battles, propitiating his aid to gain the hoped-for victory over Severus-a rival who, however, proved to be his conqueror.
--- End quote ---

While the description refers to a Pescenius Niger type, Septimius' celators adopted the same motif and Severus used the reverse sparsely between 198 and 202.  During that period, Septimius waged a series of campaigns against the Parthians, so it likely refers to a devotional relationship between the emperor and the god to secure further Parthian victories.

After 202, the type went out of use and Severus' campaigning shifted to north Africa.

Simon:
Nice coin Congrats.

Here is my latest from Forum. My first for this kingdom but very attractive.

Parthian Empire, Orodes II, 57 - 38 B.C.

96023. Silver drachm, Sellwood 47.9; Shore 241; SNG Cop 100; BMC Parthia p. 88, 173; Sunrise 373, EF, light rose tone on luster, excellent portrait, light marks, irregular flan shape, 3.647g, 20.3mm, 0o, Mithradatkart (near Askabad in Turkmenistan) mint, 50 - 42 B.C.; obverse bearded and diademed bust left, short beard, torque ends in pellet, star upper left, crescent upper right; reverse BASILEWS / BASILEWN - ARSAKOU - EUERGETOU / DIKAIOU - EPIFANOUS / FILELLHNOS (slightly blundered), archer wearing bashlyk and cloak seated right on throne, bow in right,  (Mithradatkart monogram) below bow, squared seven-line legend around; from the Errett Bishop Collection

Many Thanks to the staff of Forum for this one.

Virgil H:
I haven't posted here in a while, but have bought a few coins. Here is one from a Pontos mint I didn't have and is rare. Not necessarily the best condition ever, but I love it and the price was right. It is very nice in hand. Joe got in a few from Pontos/Phaphlognia in past few weeks and I grabbed a couple, including one from Sinope in addition to this one.

Bronze AE 22, SNG BM 1268; SNG Stancomb 718; BMC Pontus p. 30, 2; Rec Gen p. 83, 6; HGC 7 266 (R1), gF, dark green patina, porosity/pitting, scratches, overstruck, Pontus, Gaziura (possibly Turhal, Turkey) mint, weight 7.657g, maximum diameter 21.5mm, die axis 0o, under Mithradates VI, c. 105 - 85 B.C.; obverse head of Ares right in crested helmet; reverse sword in sheath with strap, ΓAZI-OYPΩN divided across field; rare.

Virgil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version