Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

related beautiful AE bull: another one!!

(1/1)

makrihoria:
Hi, here is a nother one but this one is smaller and has got magistrate beneath! If this one help much further????

THANKS

esnible:
When I saw this your coin I thought the headgear was a sphendone (as on coins of Cyzicus, e.g. Sear 3861).

With the legend 'GA' and the findspot perhaps Mysia, the likely choice is Gambrion.  Lindgren & Kovacs 240, and Lindgren III 251 have a head, perhaps Apollo, somewhat similar to yours.  One has the legend 'GAM'.  The bulls on those coins are butting left, while the ones on your coins are walking right.

The fact that you have two similar coins from the same findspot with two different legends suggests the GA has nothing to do with the location of your coin, however.

Cyzicus in Mysia has a coin with a female youth facing right and bull advancing right on the reverse.  (I couldn't find a picture; [DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN].  Unfortunately that coin has the first two letters of the city name.

Your coin may simply be unpublished.  A lot of Greek bronzes are.  Rarely ones so nice, though.  Keep looking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version