Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lydia, unpublished coin images wanted.  (Read 24433 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Lydia, unpublished coin images wanted.
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2018, 11:27:23 am »
Dane,

I don't find this coin in Wildwinds or CoinArchives Pro or a number of the usual printed sources, but maybe you already know the type and can fill out my attribution, or if unknown your friend can add it to his corpus.

Septimius Severus, Maeonia, AE 26-29, 13.36g, 6h, from Savoca Coins, eBay, 11 Feb. 2018, their picture below.

Obv: Head laureate r., faint traces of letters behind.

Rev: Hestia standing r. in temple, scepter over shoulder, same type as on BMC 37, pl. XIV.6, of Hadrian at Maeonia, and SNG Aulock 8235, of L. Verus at Maionia. Legend, beginning at 10h: EΠI.....KIANOV AP.TO.Γ. M[AI]ONΩN

Apparently this magistrate (archon) .....KIANOV AP.TO.Γ. was unknown to Head in 1901, BMC pp. lxvii f.
Curtis Clay

Offline shanxi

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2018, 12:03:24 pm »
Probably not  Septimius Severus, looks more like Antoninus Pius, legend ƐΠΙ ΜΟVΚΙΑΝΟΡ ΑΡ ΤΟ Γ ΜΑΙΟΝΩΝ

http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/9773/

(possible obverse die match)

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2018, 12:54:18 pm »
Many thanks for the correction!

The MOV of MOVKIANOV on the rev. can indeed be made out, once you know that probable reading.
Curtis Clay

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2018, 01:19:47 pm »
Yes, I had this one. It'll be no. 92 in the new book. It isn't a friend who is compiling the new corpus, I am doing it myself.

For interest: So far I have lists of just under 5,980 bronze coins of Lydia.
The finished chapters (in alphabetical order to and including Sala) consist of 3,567 coins and of these I have an average of 90.5% images plus monograms.

There are several entries in Mionnet which he had taken from Sestini, Eckhel etc, which were either misread by the original author (one, as a Faustina II from Sala with Apollo on the reverse, on the Paris website, was originally misread by Feuardent, sold to Paris and copied by Mionnet, which is actually from Alia, Phrygia). Such Mionnet entries which are certainly misread, are not included in the book. Others have been corrected.

I will be starting to number the text and images of Sala tonight.

There are still a couple of extremely large cities (as far as number of issues go) to be sorted and hundreds of images searched for.
Sardes 862 coins
Thyateira 562
Tralles 469

But it's making progress !

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2018, 01:52:10 pm »
So you had picked up my coin from eBay/Savoca, and corrected their misattribution (which I had seen no reason to doubt) to Septimius Severus?

Do you know other specimens of this coin, apart from the tooled Vienna example in RPC temp. that Shanxi links to above?

I am glad to hear of your progress on this important project!
Curtis Clay

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2018, 03:31:48 pm »
Me too.  Sounds like a great book.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2018, 05:05:31 pm »
So you had picked up my coin from eBay/Savoca, and corrected their misattribution (which I had seen no reason to doubt) to Septimius Severus?

Yes, I saw it on ebay and corrected it to Antoninus Pius when I added it to my list.

Do you know other specimens of this coin, apart from the tooled Vienna example in RPC temp. that Shanxi links to above?

No, that one on RPC online was the only one I had listed. The Savoca sale will be added but I forgot to use his item number (usually at the end of the title in the sale, do you have it ?).

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2018, 05:14:47 pm »
Different from the eBay no. 263469101870?

Last item in Savoca's description: GGG13551.

Is that number useful? Generally I record the eBay number, but not the dealer's item number.
Curtis Clay

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2018, 06:36:41 pm »
Thankyou Curtis, it was the GGG13551 I needed. The ebay numbers are a bit unwieldy and are generated by ebay. The GGG13551 is Matteo's own number.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity