Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trajan Pater's role in the first Jewish war  (Read 1290 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Trajan Pater's role in the first Jewish war
« on: October 17, 2013, 07:35:39 am »
Hi,

I don't know how it has slipped me by but until I read the Wikipedia entry on Trajan Pater and then the Numiswiki entry here (reproduced from Stephenson's Dictionary) I didn't realise his role in the First Jewish war.

Trajan and Trajan Pater
(Image from FORVM's sold coins archive)

Under the future emperor Vespasian he commanded the tenth legion, Legio X Fretensis, during the First JewishRoman War between 67-68. In one action he beseiged the city of Japha (sic, Jaffa?) near Iotapa and just before the city fell he made arrangements with Vespasian for the final victory to be taken by Titus!

Because of his successes, and one suspects some shrewd moves on his part, Vespasian awarded Trajan Sr. the governorship of a province, although which one is unknown, and a consulship in 70.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline L.C.Sulla

• Praetorian
Re: Trajan Pater's role in the first Jewish war
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 04:34:05 am »
Mausues thank's for bringing this story. The town which Trajan took over as part of the whole operation of putting down the rebellion on the Lower Galilee was "Yafia" or "Yaffa" - now days the locality of Yaffa which in practice is part of modern Nazareth urban area. As its Arabic name is similar in pronunciation to that of Jaffa (the city by the Med. sea) it is called in Arabic "Jaffa by Nazareth". 
"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full" (L.C.Sulla)

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 01:19:31 pm »
Incidentally, does the coin depict Trajan's biological or adoptive father? I assume that Nerva (his adoptive father) was deified; but I do not know whether Trajan Sr. was deified.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 02:25:33 pm »
Trajan deified Nerva in 98, though without immediately striking coins for the new Divus.

Trajan's natural father seems to have been consecrated in connection with the dedication of Trajan's Forum in Jan. 112. That was the occasion for the striking of this denarius type for DIVVS PATER TRAIAN early in 112.

At the same time, Trajan also struck aurei with two relevant types, DIVVS PATER TRAIANVS, portrait of Trajan's natural father; and DIVI NERVA ET TRAIANVS PAT, vis-à-vis portraits of Nerva and Trajan's natural father.
Curtis Clay

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 05:54:01 pm »
Hi,
Mausues thank's for bringing this story. The town which Trajan took over as part of the whole operation of putting down the rebellion on the Lower Galilee was "Yafia" or "Yaffa" - now days the locality of Yaffa which in practice is part of modern Nazareth urban area. As its Arabic name is similar in pronunciation to that of Jaffa (the city by the Med. sea) it is called in Arabic "Jaffa by Nazareth". 

And thank-you for clearing up my uncertainty over the city and my wrong guess.

Regards,

Mauseus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity