Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Maximian IOVI TVTATORI AVGG  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Maximian IOVI TVTATORI AVGG
« on: July 25, 2013, 03:02:59 pm »
An unusual coin, not my usual area and not a coin I'm overly bothered about but I thought it deserved an airing. Noted for Diocletian and known also for Maximian. Given the Iovi Tutatori Augg legend I suppose the Maximian examples are mules....

IMP C MAXIMIANVS P AVG, Cuirassed bust right

IOVI TVTATORI AVGG, Jupiter left, eagle at feet

The exergue mark looks like a gamma and must be Lyons. Weight is 2.72g

Regards,

Adrianus

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Maximian IOVI TVTATORI AVGG
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 04:08:56 pm »
They do occur and are generally much scarcer than their Diocletian counterparts. I believe that your exe is P and this would make it RIC 393 Bust Type F, which equates to Bastien vol. VII #159 (6 examples cited) which is certainly on the scarcer end of the spectrum.

It does occur with a range of legends P F AVG, P AVG and AVG and a range of bust types cuirassed, draped and cuirassed from rear and front, helmeted left and right and shield and spear left with scarcities ranging from 1 example through to 10 examples.

I acquired a couple a few years ago...

Obv:– IMP C MAXIMIANVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from rear
Rev:– IOVI TVTATORI AVGG, Jupiter standing left, holding Victory and scepter, eagle at feet
Minted in Lugdunum (//P). Emission 5, Officina 1. Autumn A.D. 287- Autumn A.D. 289
Reference:– Cohen -. Bastien Volume VII 154 (2 examples cited).

Obv:– IMP C MAXIMIANVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from rear
Rev:– IOVI TVTATORI AVGG, Jupiter standing left, holding Victory and scepter, eagle at feet
Minted in Lugdunum (//P). Emission 5, Officina 1. Autumn A.D. 287- Autumn A.D. 289
Reference:– Cohen -. Bastien Volume VII - (unlisted with this bust type in Bastien).

Martin

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 04:49:10 pm »
Interesting coin I agree

thanks to post it.

regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 05:44:17 am »
Nice type and thanks for the thread. Do you have an example of the neat IOVI FVLGERATORI type? Really a cool depiction of Jupiter advancing raising a thunderbolt as if he is hurling it, tramping a captive Titan!
That one I bet you don't have.

Here is an example of Diocletion in gold from the Chicago Art Institute. He minted an Antoninianus. I am not sure if Maximian had an example survive.   http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/artwork/145225

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 07:08:44 am »
Hi
Do you have an example of the neat IOVI FVLGERATORI type? Really a cool depiction of Jupiter advancing raising a thunderbolt as if he is hurling it, tramping a captive Titan!
That one I bet you don't have.

Funny you should mention that. I was talking about my example when Adrianus showed me the coin at the start of the thread.

Maximianus I 286-305 AD
AE antoninianus
Rome Mint
IMP MAXIMIANVS PF AVG
Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
IOVI FVLGERATORI
Jupiter standing left, eagle at feet to left
-/-/XXIΓ
RIC 510
Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 12:12:59 pm »
Thanks for the picture of this rare issue of Maximian! Nice example with eagle and usually seen of Diocletian. First one of Maximian's  issue   I've seen!  Sometimes has a captive/eagle or without. I'll save the picture. One of my favorite legends. "The Thundering Avenging Jupiter".

All coins are guaranteed for eternity