Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: VIRTVS EXERCITI - 2 captives under standard inscribed VOT XX  (Read 646 times)

JaniO

Reverse is VIRTVS EXERCITI. Two captives under standard inscribed VOT XX.
Can someone help with mint and obverse.

Offline richard a

• Praetorian
Re: VIRTVS EXERCITI - 2 captives under standard inscribed VOT XX
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 07:29:28 pm »
Hello,

Constantine I

The Obv. appears to read: CONSTANTINVS AVG

The mint I am not sure about

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:19:56 am »
Reverse is VIRTVS EXERCITI. Two captives under standard inscribed VOT XX.
Can someone help with mint and obverse.

I thought I saw more of NIVS AVG on the right side obverse and was thinking Licinius. Hard to tell from the picture though. 

Offline justus

• Caesar
  • Quidquid agis prudenter agas et respice finem.
    • Trierer Münzfreunde
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 12:26:47 am »
 Reverse legend: VIRTVS EXERCIT. The obverse bust seems to me as "laurate only without helmet"? Mintmark of Ticinum: PT or ST ?
Augusta Treverorum, Germany
Articles - https://independent.academia.edu/HJJost

JaniO

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 08:36:54 am »
Thanks for help. Follis' condition is poor I know... I try find counterpart in Helvetica's RIC list but I didn't find it (if mint is Ticinum). Can someone find exact counterpart?

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 11:48:01 am »
Thanks for help. Follis' condition is poor I know... I try find counterpart in Helvetica's RIC list but I didn't find it (if mint is Ticinum). Can someone find exact counterpart?

I went through Helvetica's list also but most matches are helmeted which this one appears not to be. There was one match except yours appears to not have letters in the reverse field which Helvetica's did. They were all pretty rare'

Maybe a light oil rub or at least moisten it and try to read the letters a bit better. 

JaniO

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 06:58:29 am »
I did find 2 papers where you can find information about VIRTVS EXERCIT - VOT XX from Ticinum. Papers are:
Patrick Bruun, "The System of the Vota coinages" and Bruun's other paper "The Christian Signs on the Coins of Constantine". Especially last papers fig. 9a looks almost identical (rev.).

I just looked coin and I also saw NIVS AVG so maybe it is Licinius' follis.

Offline Holding_History

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 09:30:11 am »
The mintmark looks to me like P :star:T. However like before mentioned there is no Chi-Rho in the left reverse field and it doesn't look like a helmeted bust.

Could it possibly be an unlisted variety?

All the best,
Nathan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity