Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Quartet of Questionable Coins  (Read 879 times)

stevanor23

Quartet of Questionable Coins
« on: February 01, 2010, 11:25:29 pm »
I recently received these four coins from a man in Hungary.  When I questioned their authenticity, to his credit, he suggested I post them here to get your opinions.  Of particular interest is the patina, which appears to be painted--also there are arbitrary patches of blue-greens and reds that I've never seen on any other coins.  Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Quartet of Questionable Coins
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 12:26:05 am »
They look genuine to me.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 01:38:45 am »
They look genuine to me.

Yes, quite.
Any particular reason for being suspicious of them?
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

stevanor23

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:57:53 pm »
The Pan/Griffin has no detail in the hair line - the hair is highlighted with black and gold that looks to be painted on. Several area exhibit deep scratches under the raised detail - it looks as if it were carved. The smaller peices are of less concern - mainly the patina has unusual bluee-green and red colors I've not seen before. I mostly collect roman imperials and greek coins are largely "Greeek" to me. Thanks for your time

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 12:55:52 am »
In my opinion, the first and second coins are quite heavily tooled and artificially patinated.  The third may be lightly tooled on the reverse.  The fourth looks untouched.

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 02:51:25 am »
Yeah, a couple may have some tooling. Hard to say for sure from the photos. As to patination, well, repatinated or not the coins are genuine. Perhaps damaged, yes (the first two), but not fake. The other two are neither damaged nor fake.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity