Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: SAXBYS Sextus Pompey Neptune / Trophy Crawford 511/2  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
SAXBYS Sextus Pompey Neptune / Trophy Crawford 511/2
« on: October 27, 2009, 03:34:41 pm »
I'm going to hand myself in for owning a fake and not realising it:

Top coin: currently on ebay: [link removed by Admin] (seller removed form sale after I contacted him)

Bottom coin: in my own collection: [link removed by Admin]

Retro-investigation of my source of the bottom coin shows I bought it from a NARU who had accumulated 6 negatives by the time he reached a feedback of +94 on 112 sales. I keep on advising people not to buy on ebay except from well-established dealers and it seems I broke my own advice. Live and learn more.

I will de-accession it once it's been looked at for educational purposes.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Sextus Pompey Neptune / Trophy Crawford 511/2
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 11:37:04 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:24:02 pm »
Fake coin report please.

Another example of this fake Sx.Pompey has appeared on ebay: bottom coin below is currently for sale at

[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 02:30:27 am »
Sorry for you Andrew, but well spotted and thanks for sharing the info

Potator

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 07:12:12 pm »
I'm accumulating examples of this cast fake on eBay. Top (of four) pics below shows another example that is being advertised on eBay from a seller with just 13 feedback:

Same cast type, not very well hidden by a few edge serrations

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 10:20:29 am »
A deceptive fake, to be sure.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 04:36:02 pm »
I'm accumulating examples of this cast fake on eBay. Top (of four) pics below shows another example that is being advertised on eBay from a seller with just 13 feedback:

Two examples of this fake Sextus appeared in the last two weeks. One seller withdrew his copy. The other despite a clearly written email from me with photos of the related examples, has not replied or withdrawn the object, five days after I emailed him.

Picture of the coin currently for sale below, and of four matching examples. Permanent link here:
[link removed by Admin]

The seller is saxbys-coins, and the item is eBay link [link removed by Admin]

I will be happy to remove the seller details if he changes his mind about keeping the listing.

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 05:10:43 pm »
I doubt he will. Thats why he's on the NFSL!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 05:05:41 pm »
I'm accumulating examples of this cast fake on eBay.

Two examples of this fake Sextus appeared in the last two weeks.

Below another example of this dangerous fake on ebay, with a starting price of $299.99, from a 100%+ve high feedback seller. I've written to the seller but the coin is still listed.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 06:49:45 pm »
I'm accumulating examples of this cast fake on eBay.

Two examples of this fake Sextus appeared in the last two weeks.

Below another example of this dangerous fake on ebay, with a starting price of $299.99, from a 100%+ve high feedback seller. I've written to the seller but the coin is still listed.

I found another one currently for sale, this time listed at $1900 buy-it-now price, from an ebay seller with 7,200 positive feedbacks. Pic of the latest offering below.

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 07:36:11 pm »
He dropped to $1140.00 - must have read this thread

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 08:03:14 pm »
Unlike some examples posted earlier in this thread, the example now being discussed (the last one pictured) is offered by a legitimate and respectable seller and while I have no doubts about Andrew's assessment, the seller may. He isn't the type to leave a listing up if presented with evidence that the coin is fake.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 08:32:27 pm »
Commodus,
It was meant as a joke however if he reads this thread it would be a very difficult decision not to pull the coin based on Andrew's evidence. It matches four others identically with an off center strike. The first rule I heard on this board was to always question exact matches.

Now to his side it's listed with a close weight and size ,18mm (3.76 grams), which makes it pretty good fake, he does handle a lot of coins so I suspect in hand there is nothing suspicious, why would he question it....until you do read Andrew's detective work. Keep in mind it did fool the detective until he dug a little deeper!!

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 12:06:51 am »
The listing has been withdrawn.

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 01:43:32 am »
Commodus,
It was meant as a joke however if he reads this thread it would be a very difficult decision not to pull the coin based on Andrew's evidence. It matches four others identically with an off center strike. The first rule I heard on this board was to always question exact matches.

Now to his side it's listed with a close weight and size ,18mm (3.76 grams), which makes it pretty good fake, he does handle a lot of coins so I suspect in hand there is nothing suspicious, why would he question it....until you do read Andrew's detective work. Keep in mind it did fool the detective until he dug a little deeper!!

Thanks for your reply. However, I wasn't actually replying to your post. Rather, I was specifically addresing the fact that this seller isn't one of the NFSL type guys -- and, indeed, he proved this by removing the listing and cancelling the auction.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 04:40:32 am »
The listing has been withdrawn.

Both listings have now been withdrawn. I didn't, per Forum convention, link to or name the sellers. This type was good enough to fool me when I bought an example so I can understand others being deceived.

I have over time seen many more than the 6 now pictured. It's persistent.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
SAXBYS Sextus Pompey Neptune / Trophy Crawford 511/2
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 10:27:30 am »
bump
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS