Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: DIVOCARO real or fake?  (Read 1574 times)

Ad Stoma

DIVOCARO real or fake?
« on: March 13, 2009, 05:25:47 am »
Hello !
I`m not sure if this coin it`s ok?
The dims and wgt:24mm/3.7 gr.
Thank you very much for your help.
   BRGDS,
      AD

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: DIVOCARO real or fake?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 05:37:18 am »
It clearly is a modern fake.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Ad Stoma

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 06:01:33 am »
Thank a lot Lars.
I was affraid to hear that but this is life.I`ll be more careful in future.

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 12:23:57 pm »
It clearly is a modern fake.

Lars

Upon what basis may I ask?

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 12:43:43 pm »
Fields, flan, the colour, especially the grey between the eagle's feathers and on the head, plus the reddish on the highest points with some rubbing.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

napki

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 02:04:51 pm »
Remind me of "reproductions" I see sometime in old collection. 1950s?

marandnumiz

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 05:27:36 pm »
I wouldn't condemn your coin without closer inspection - it could simply be a high grade hoard antoninianus with smooth surfaces, cleaned chemically, so that high points reveal healthy copper, then sealed with anything from RenWax to shoe polish.

Compare with my example below which I consider to be authentic without doubt - the coin initially when I bought it had a rather uniform brown tone, but after some bath and rubbing the wax was mostly removed.

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 05:51:01 pm »
This is also my impression. I am in possession of a Probus with similar looking surface features. It is silvered, but through recent handling the highest points have worn away to reveal the base metal underneath, looking much like the Carus and Carinus coins in this thread.
 I dont think Lars basis is solid enough to condem this coin without closer inspection.

Stylisticaly, I think the Carus coin looks fine.

Delmativs

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 06:29:18 pm »
Until proven otherwise, I still believe it's genuine. And it appears to have a couple of spots of bronze disease, so take care of your coin.

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 12:27:10 am »
Based on the photos alone I'm not persuaded that this coin isn't genuine.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 02:06:47 am »
Something about both of these coins doesn't sit well with me, but I'm not sure what it is. I think at best, both coins have been completely stripped and painted with some silver paint (?) to make them look silvered. I'm 100% certain this isn't original silvering we're looking at. I wouldn't condemn them from just these photos (I'd be happy to look at them in the flesh) though. Both flan look unusually modern somehow.

Barry Murphy

marandnumiz

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 02:41:49 am »
Barry, the coin of Carinus is a part of a hoard, together with several others below. It has been cleaned and then inappropriatelly waxed for sure, but I doubt the silvering was artificially applied.

Ad Stoma

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 03:40:12 am »
I come with more explanations regarding this coin or other from the topic "fakes or real cois"(diocletian,saloninus,valerian..).When i saw for first time this coin,she was completely silvered.I don`t remember if I saw some red spots on this coin.After,the seller told me that he cleaned the coin with some stuff for kitchen or bathrom-some powder(not a big PH).After that i saw the coin in this situatuation,with many red parts(original material).I grant you that i covered the coin with a varnish.This not happened with Carus coin-I told the seller to leave the coins and not use some stuff on them.I`ll clean this coin from varnish and I`ll do one more photo .It`s posiblle to be silvered recently.Also,you can see a green spot on the edge.The spot(oxide) is very strong and don`t looks to be new.
Regards,
  AD

Ad Stoma

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 05:08:42 am »
New photo.The coin free from varnish.On the edge you can see a green spot,it`s strong and don`t looks to be new.

Optimus

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 07:44:05 am »
Hmm, interesting one. There are some worrying points (most of all the surfaces) but it may have come from the cleaning and polishing (wax?). As a style the coin looks fine for me.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 10:18:47 am »
I think more likely genuine than fake, including the silvering; but cleaned using poor methods wearing the high points. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ed D

• Consul
    • The Carus Dynasty
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 02:14:13 pm »
Hi I am pretty sure it's genuine, the style is ok.

Best regards,

Ed D

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 06:00:46 pm »
Yes, the style is fine, that's why I didn't criticize it - that doesn't necessarily mean that the coin is genuine, however. In any case, it overall looks horrible and the flan and strike look modern to me.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

All coins are guaranteed for eternity