Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > History and Archeology

The "Villa" of Antoninus Pius ?

(1/1)

Rugser:
http://www.repubblica.it/news/ired/ultimora/2006/rep_nazionale_n_2099550.html?ref=hpsbdx

>>>>>
The thermal plant of a villa of notable dimensions and great wealth, datable, at least in the phase shown, between the II and the III century after Christ. And' the discovery sort in the place' Olivella, inside the agricultural Firm of Castel of Guido, to the doors in Rome, from the archaeological Superintendence of the capital on detective input of the Watch of finance: the yellow Flames of Fiumicino had been, in September of two years ago, following the traces of some tombarolis, to arrive for first to a pit, dug from unknown, that allowed to glimpse building structures of Roman epoch. In last summer, they have been dug only entirely two some six individualized environments, the "frigidarium" and the "calidarium", but only today - completed the mass in safety of the site - him and' gives the official announcement of the recovery in a press conference entertained by the Roman national Museum: the wealth of the rests already' I emerged - masonries, marbles, mosaics - it authorizes the employees to confide in new, precious "surprises". The excavations will take back in July: the hope, even so much secret, and' that - after the villa of the "Colonnacce", located in the '76 and the thermal baths of the Olivella - is possible "to put the hands" also in another villa, third pole of the suburb of Lorium, her "small Pompeii", signalled in Peutingeriana  Tabs , first station of mail to the XII mile of the street Aurelia and center of the imperial palatium where Antonino Pio was educated by the grandparent, native of the zone. 
>>>>>>

Today I find on my daily newspaper a beautiful news. 
Perhaps the time is near in which it will be discovered "Villa" of Lorium where Antoninus Pius lived many years of its kingdom and died. 
The article of the newspaper remembers me the as ones my you walk on that place.... 
I apologize me for the translation "on line.".... this is my limit....    :-[
ser

curtislclay:
The computer, as usual, hasn't helped much, so here my attempt at a translation of the Italian text:

The thermal plant of the baths of a villa of notable dimensions and great wealth, datable, at least in the phase so far excavated, to the second or third century after Christ. Such is the discovery that has been made in the town of Olivella, near Castel di Guido, outside the gates of Rome, by the Archaeological Commission of the City of Rome, on the basis of investigative input from the Revenue Police.  It was the patrol cars of that police force that, in September 2004, while following the trail of clandestine excavators, first discovered a ditch, dug by unknown culprits, that revealed the walls of ancient Roman buildings.  Last summer, two of the six structures revealed, the "frigidarium" and the "calidarium", were fully excavated, but it was only today, after the completion of security measures to protect the site, that the official announcement of the discovery was made, at a press conference hosted by the National Museum in Rome.  The richness of the remains that have already been uncovered - walls, marble statues, mosaics - entitles the archaeologists to hope for further important "surprises".  The excavations will resume in July; and the hope, even if not openly expressed, is that it will be possible to lay hands on another villa, a third important site in the suburb of Lorium, after the Villa delle Colonnacce, discovered in 1976, and the Baths of Olivella.  Lorium, known as "little Pompeii", which is indicated in the Tabula Peutingeriana, was the first station of the imperial post on the Via Aurelia, at the twelfth milestone from Rome, and was the location of the imperial palace in which Antoninus Pius was raised by his grandparents, who were native to the region.

Rugser:
Thank a lot Curtis

Best regards

ser

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version