Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek Coin ID help please!  (Read 2546 times)

cfroehlich7584

Greek Coin ID help please!
« on: November 12, 2006, 05:20:23 pm »
I bought this coin recently on a trip to Cairo.  It is made of silver I think an on the front is someone I am not familiar with.  On the back is a figure which appears to be and angel, or maybe the goddess Nike?  Sorry I can't provide more information, I am rather new at coin collecting and I would appreciate any help at all. Thanks!

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: Greek Coin ID help please!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 05:49:37 pm »
Looks like a modern fake of a Vespasian tet from Alexandria.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Jay G

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 08:56:17 pm »
I agree, I think this is a fake. I don't believe that there is a recorded type with Nike left and an inscription denoting ALEXANDRIA for Vespasian who is the emperor depicted. It is dated year two which would signify CE 69-70 if legit, but unfortunately it is not. Likely just a tourist fake.

cfroehlich7584

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 10:24:17 am »
 >:( thanks, lesson learned i guess

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 10:17:06 pm »
It is a very interesting coin, which has signs of being a forgery.

In Katalog der Alexandrinischen Muenzen by Adriano Savio and Tomaso Lucchelli, there is an interesting Vespasian tetradrachm on page 60, number 5: which has Alexandria standing l., holding wreath and sceptre (year 1: dated on obverse) to left: P :Greek_Omega:MH !!! (Unfortuately, it is not pictured)

Alexandria and Roma do look very similar, so I can see how the error could have happened. The Nike standing l. is the only Vespasian tetradrachm that does not have a reverse inscription.

It does make you wonder more about coin pictured above.

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 07:02:43 am »
I know the pictures are not good enough to make a real solid analysis of the coin, but the details seem sharp for a cast, style seems to good for a struck forgery, wear patterns seem good.

I think I would want to have an expert examine it in hand before casting it into the black cabinet...

Jerome

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 09:22:50 am »
Jerome:

I agree with your comments. What concerned me about the coin was the detail to the right of the obverse head: the style of the letters, the line under the chin and by the inscription as well as the closeness of the date to the head-- in my mind too close.

The reverse looks good except I would expect to see traces of the missing DP, even if only traces of the bottom of the letters.

The coin flan looks pretty good. Whenever I purchase Alexandrian coins I always look closely at the edges of the coin as it is hard to fake that detail and unfortunately the edges are not pictured.

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 01:29:47 pm »
Same coin, same die, same centering shows up on Barry Murphy's page of cast Alexandrian fakes (bottom right coin):

http://bpmurphy.ancients.info/images/misc/alexandrianfakes.jpg

:tongue:

Eugene
Eugene

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 03:23:12 pm »
Bummer :tongue:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity