Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Very interesting type  (Read 1466 times)

a

Very interesting type
« on: February 13, 2006, 01:46:21 pm »
Hi all,

At the first view this coin is looks like unlisted type:
on one side hebrew inscription:
Yenatan the High Priest and the Council of the Jews
on the other side anchor within circle with greek inscription:
BASILEWS ALEXANDROU.

But after detailed study, you can see the remains of lily under hebrew inscription.

So, I suppose that it is Hyrcanus II pruta overstrucked on Yanneus anchor and star coin.

What you think about this?

Regards,
Explorer

Offline Ecgþeow

• Consul
    • my gallery
Re: Very interesting type
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 06:37:36 pm »
I agree with explorer.  It seems that there is a slight sign of the lily underneath the writing.  However, I could be wrong...

Offline Ibex-coins

• Consul
Re: Very interesting type
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 10:54:36 pm »
If you look at the 7 o'clock position on the anchor side, it looks like there is an undertype of an old anchor from the original coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity