Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Two unidentified coins  (Read 2280 times)

Roland Mueller

Two unidentified coins
« on: June 01, 2005, 04:11:25 pm »
I have two more unidentified coins and I have no idea from where they are!

AE-11 mm, 1.09 gr.
AV: Crab
RV: Moon, below a star, in the upper field a small ball and some letters

AE-11mm, 0.82 gr.
AV: Head with a peculiar hat to left
RV: Head of a wulf or dog with open mouth and long tongue to left, no traces of letters

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Two unidentified coins
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 05:20:40 pm »
??? Could the lower one be from Cilicia?

Warning: This is only a vague idea!

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Roland Mueller

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 07:15:11 am »
Hi Rupert,
in fact of beautifull weather I had to work in our garden. This morning I had time to check Kilikia but I did'nt find a same coin. I found dog-protomes only, no coin that seems be related. Anyway a lot of thanks for your help.
Have you ever seen a coin like posted under "Pergamon"?

Roland

cogito

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 12:17:11 am »
Roland,

Fascinating finds!  Though, I'm not certain of it's origin I'm pretty certain that your first coin is referencing the Zodiac phenomenon/sign of "Moon in Cancer," which is often depicted as a crescent moon underneath a star.

There are some bronze Alexandrian coins of Antoninus Pius that depict a crab, crescent moon, and eight-pointed star...so maybe your coin is Egyptian or North African in origin.  Here's a good picture link to a Antoninus Pius example very reminescent of your coin:

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Can you make out the legend on your coin?

Regards,
Jeff

Roland Mueller

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 10:44:18 am »
Hello Jeff,
thank you for your information. I tried hard to identify the legend, on the original coin I could nor find out more than in the scan. K A or - L ? H. What you think about the small ball above the cresent? Is it a letter or is it the sun? Also the crab has something between the claws?
Now I will check in my library after coins from Africa and Aegypt.
Roland

Offline Peattie

• Praetorian
  • Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 12:14:02 pm »
While trying to match my coin, which has a very similar crab to your,

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=62&pos=7

I found a number of coins from the island of Caria (Cos), from c.300 - 190 BC which have a Crab very similar to your with crescent above, this might be a good place to look.

Bolayi

cogito

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 12:18:41 pm »
Roland,

I think the dot between the legend is actually a pellet; denoting the coins relative value.  Pellets were used quite a bit in Zeugitanian coins...though I'm not certain about Alexandrian issues.

Jeff

Roland Mueller

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 05:04:51 pm »
A lot of thanks for your help. I checked all of my literatur and I don't think that is even Kos or Karthago, the stile is very different! There are many coins with stars, crescent and crabs but this combination is very peculiar.
Regards
Roland

cogito

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 08:40:46 pm »
Roland,

The only other tact I can think of is to try to decipher the legend.  Assuming that the first three letters are "KAY," it could be possible that the coin hails from Kaunos, Caria.  It's also supportive, though circumstantial, that Kaunos was a famous sea port with a naval station, so the crab device wouldn't be unexpected.

I'm still convinced that the combination of crab, crescent moon, and eight-pointed star is referring to "Moon in Cancer," and there aren't many astrological representation coins coming out of Caria.  Most, as indicated before, tend to be Roman Provincial and out of Alexandrian mints.

I just love a mystery.  Actually, I find these very mysteries the best thing about ancient coin collecting.

Regards,
Jeff

All coins are guaranteed for eternity