Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

Attributing Thracian Cheronese

(1/6) > >>

whitetd49:
Not having much experience with these, I'm wondering how to deal with the vast diversity of symbols and monograms found on the reverses of these coins.  My specimen is attributed as Sear 1603 (Sear only recognizes 5 or 6 types):  Thracian Chersonese, Cherronesos AR Hemidrachm. 400-350 BC. Forepart of lion right, head turned back / quadripartite incuse with bunch of grapes and A over • in the sunken quarters. BMC 18.  The reverse of mine clearly has the A pellet, but not the bunch of grapes, instead perhaps a "plant leaf".  Is the latter a control mark perhaps?

bpmurphy:
What you have is an AG monogram over a pelet (on the left) and two crossed grains of barley beside a pellet (on the right). This type is listed in BMC Thrace pg. 184, 22.

Barry Murphy

whitetd49:
Thank you again!

Reid Goldsborough:
Barry, do you (or anyone) know which SNG has the largest group of these Cheronese hemidrachms? I remember looking through one a while back -- I believe it was an SNG, but it could I suppose have been another reference -- and it illustrated about 20 of these coins, each with a difference reverse (different symbols). I tried not long ago to find this reference but couldn't. Any idea which it is? Thanks.

bpmurphy:
Reid,

SNG Copenhagen has 20, Weber has 30, BMC has 54; McClean has 74.

SNG Lockett, Delepierre, Munich, Tubingen all have fewer than Copenhagen.

Barry Murphy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version