Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carthage Nummi - Justinian I  (Read 326 times)

Offline Paul B11

• Praetorian
Carthage Nummi - Justinian I
« on: March 13, 2023, 03:06:58 pm »

I have several nummi from Carthage that I won't let go of because I collected with my Dad in 1972 there. VOT XIII, Chi Rho bust facing, A, and Staurogram with Alpha Omega (monogram 7) types. Similar coins with them like N IIII are presumably and crude six-rayed stars are presumably vandal.

My very old 1974 Sears book lists these all in the 4-6 pound range for F value, which is about the same for common coins, while Mr. Sears admitts that his first value guide is based on very little data and much guesswork.

My question is if these are considered more valuable now relative to other mints/denominations? I see similar quality coins offered for $100-$300, especially Justinian I chi rhos and monogram 7. Are they scarce or rare? I don't stumble across them easily on the net...

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Carthage Nummi - Justinian I
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 12:02:20 am »
Paul, the general rule at Forum is that we do not talk about prices. Having said that, you can forget about the pricing in Sear. Just forget about it. You will bave a better idea of relative prices of Byzantine coins by referring to the 1930 Ratto sale than you will by looking at the values in Sear.  For more recent data, there are plenty of places on the internet where you can research historical price data.  But you instinct is correct that the Byzantine fractions, especially  :Greek_Alpha:  :Greek_Beta:  :Greek_Gamma: and :Greek_Delta: all command significantly higher prices than suggested in Sear.

Offline Paul B11

• Praetorian
Re: Carthage Nummi - Justinian I
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 12:28:13 pm »
Thank you! That is helpful. I saw some pricing info elsewhere on the FORVM. Since I will never sell, the rarity is what I am trying to gauge. I don't know how to gauge that.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity