Celtic Ring Money

(1/1)

John J6:
?

John J6:
is this even a coin?

Mayadigger:
Ave!

Such 'proto money' was used as a trading commodity (currency) before the introduction of struck coins in the Eastern Danube region and the Black sea area, by Celtic tribes and were marketed by their weight. The most common types were simple round rings, while others had a few knobs or lugs that were worn as beads or jewelry in one manner or another.

Herein lies the problem; just because it's a simple round-shaped ring, does not preclude it's of Celtic origin. Nearly all of these are easy to confuse, and are too often mis-attributed, with later Roman-Medieval
rings that were attached to horse harness, armor, and many other uses. See the first photo.

The next two photos are true Celtic 'ring money' types and would most likely have been attached to a thong and worn as either a necklace pendent or one of many on a bracelet.

Other Celtic proto-money types were cast in the shape of a bell, but not a "true bell" as we know them, as they did not contain a interior clapper.
The hole in this bell-shaped money was not a flaw in the casting, but done on purpose to allow it to have been attached to a thong, and worn as either as necklace pendents or one of many on a bracelet where they would have tinkled and chimed as the wearer moved.

John J6:

--- Quote from: Mayadigger on February 12, 2023, 03:45:13 pm ---Herein lies the problem; just because it's a simple round-shaped ring, does not preclude it's of Celtic origin. Nearly all of these are easy to confuse, and are too often mis-attributed, with later Roman-Medieval
rings that were attached to horse harness, armor, and many other uses. See the first photo.

--- End quote ---

I hear ya. Knobs like your pics are key, and without them it could be anything. I guess I'll just add a "?" to the 2x2 and wonder. Thanks for the information.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version