Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help ID Claudius contemporary imitation sestertius  (Read 534 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Help ID Claudius contemporary imitation sestertius
« on: January 22, 2023, 08:39:05 am »
Good afternoon,

I would like some help to determine where this Claudius sestertius was minted. I think it's Balkan minted but i'm not so familiar with the british ones so maybe someone could tell me more. The countermark itself seems to be that of a Capricorn which I think was applied during Vespasians Reign.

Thanks!  +++

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Help ID Claudius contemporary imitation sestertius
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 09:19:30 am »

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 11:01:01 am »
Solved! Thanks  +++ :)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 01:57:45 pm »

RPC says Thrace os Bithynia: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/1958

Pekka K

Would this be a romano-british copy? It's advertised as that with reference (Sutherland Romano-British PL I,1). But since you seem to know about them I'd like your opinion as to me the style looks quite close to Spain. Thanks!

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 02:06:36 pm »
Also worth noting that the second and fifth examples on the RPC page has the same (I think) countermark (Capricorn over rudder on globe, if they have that right; supposedly not in Howgego, though I haven't double-checked).

The Western imitations seem to be the ones that got the much-debated NCAPR cmk under Nero (?) (along with lots of regular issues).

I have the impression these must be much more common. My example:

Photo source: CNG (Richard Baker Coll.) [LINK]

UPDATE: Just saw your last comment. You were asking someone else, but to my eye, that's one of the "Western" ones (similar style to mine), though I don't for sure if that means British or possibly a mint in Spain / Gaul.
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 03:41:42 pm »
Quote from: Curtis JJ on January 22, 2023, 02:06:36 pm
Also worth noting that the second and fifth examples on the RPC page has the same (I think) countermark (Capricorn over rudder on globe, if they have that right; supposedly not in Howgego, though I haven't double-checked).

The Western imitations seem to be the ones that got the much-debated NCAPR cmk under Nero (?) (along with lots of regular issues).

I have the impression these must be much more common. My example:

Photo source: CNG (Richard Baker Coll.) [LINK]

UPDATE: Just saw your last comment. You were asking someone else, but to my eye, that's one of the "Western" ones (similar style to mine), though I don't for sure if that means British or possibly a mint in Spain / Gaul.

Very nice specimen you have there. I found some info that goes over it: http://augustuscoins.com/ed/imit/imitclaudius.html

I do however really am after a british example cause it'd be cool to have one from during the invasion.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity