Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lead Head on Dagger from MMOA  (Read 632 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Lead Head on Dagger from MMOA
« on: January 05, 2023, 06:12:17 pm »
Well this is just amazing.  I have been looking for references to cast lead heads in our collection for many years, particularly to one in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, which my father remembered seeing more than 30 years ago.  Thanks to our new member at FAC, Pedro P, I can now post this link.  The head forms the pommel of a small ceremonial dagger.  Of course, they may have had other uses as well, but this is an invaluable clue.  Here is a link to the MMOA entry, and also one to the original post about the lead heads in the discussion board.  I will also post this link there to complete the reference.  Thanks again, to all, for their interest and contributions to this ongoing research topic.

Best regards, Jimi Berlin (V-drome)

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/465356
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=125294.0

Title: Dagger
Date: probably 3rd century
Geography: Made in Gaul
Culture: Late Roman
Medium: Iron, copper alloy, silver
Dimensions: Overall: 6 9/16 x 13/16 x 3/8 in. (16.7 x 2 x 1 cm)
hilt: 1 1/4 x 13/16 x 7/16 in. (3.2 x 2 x 1.1 cm)
mount: 5/8 x 9/16 x 1/4 in. (1.6 x 1.5 x 0.6 cm)
silver tip: 5/8 x 9/16 x 3/16 in. (1.6 x 1.4 x 0.5 cm)

Classification: Metalwork-Iron
Credit Line: Gift of J. Pierpont Morgan, 1917
Accession Number: 17.192.51

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Lead Head on Dagger from MMOA
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 07:07:51 pm »
Nice piece. I will have to look for it in the Met someday.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity