Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Late Palaeologan follaro ?  (Read 786 times)

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Late Palaeologan follaro ?
« on: April 10, 2022, 03:43:21 pm »
Hello. Please help me to identify this coin.
15 mm, 0.63 gr

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Late Palaeologan follaro ?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 07:13:34 pm »
I cannot make out the reverse, the obverse seems to match Maunuel II Tornese, Honestly, I am uncertain what separates the follaro with Tornese.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Skolot

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 05:25:39 pm »
The closest type of bust is 1/8 stavraton of John V with stars in field (Sear 2512, DOC V 1249-50, Lianta 881-885). But my coin is copper  ???

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 09:39:02 pm »
I am looking at Lianta but a color version of the photos, the three indicators I was using to attribute was it is AE, has a full circular legend and the stars by the emperors head, Also he has no design on his chest,  again I could not make out anything on the reverse ( or might be obverse.) 

My idea was something like Lianta 1006 18mm 2.15gm , the others listed seem to be 15mm but weight around 2.gm , your coin is smaller and light like a follaro. I saw no match for either ruler.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity