Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Alexius I SBCV 1916  (Read 821 times)

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Alexius I SBCV 1916
« on: March 29, 2022, 01:51:50 pm »
Not pretty but rare
Alexius I Comnenus with Irene Ducaena and John II . Billon Aspron Trachy. Coronation issue of A.D. 1092
Obverse: I W DECPO KERO HQ
John standing, wearing a loros, holding a labarum-headed sceptre, being crowned by Christ.
Reverse: +ALEZI W D EI PHN I AVG
Alexius and Irene standing facing, both wearing crown, stemma, divitision, collar-piece and loros, holding patriarchal cross between them.
3.2 g. 
SBCV 1916

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Alexius I SBCV 1916
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 07:20:59 pm »
Very cool and yes I agree rare, one in EF auctioned not too long ago. Interesting note about many of the early post reform issues of Alexius, they just do not seem to come to the market, I believe many of the early issues were recycled durring his regin. SBCV- 1916, 1917 , 1919, 1928.  If found they normally are in horrible condition.

Here is my SBCV-1919 I have not found a better example.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity