Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

Another coin with provenance

<< < (3/3)

cicerokid:

esnible
I think it is a reasonable that reverse dies were destroyed at the end of the month, afterall each first magistrate wanted his own reverse with his name on it and the symbol that was meaningful to him.
Obverse dies were shared from time to time-most useful. Obverse dies last longer than reverse dies in general.

The battle to understand the Athenian (s) calendar as all but destroyed the finest minds...it might be better understood if it was not seen as being too precious to the Athenians at the time to add this, subtract that to get what they wanted. OK it doesn't';t sound Greek like but it's fooled the greater minds than mine,, and I cannot do calenderics at all.

see,  Intercalary months in the Athenian Dark-Age
period
Autor(en): Müller, Jörg W.
Zeitschrift: Schweizer Münzblätter = Gazette numismatique suisse = Gazzetta
numismatica svizzera
Band (Jahr): 38-42 (1988-1992)

cicerokid:

Muller, Jorge W.,”Intercalary months in the Athenian dark-age period”. Schweizer Munzblatter 41 November   1991

A distinguished radiation scientists attempt to resolve some aspects of Athenian calendrics using intercalary dates. I cannot comment on the astronomical and other issues but he promised at the bottom of page 88 “The practical realisation of this programme will be addressed in an article “now in preparation” ( my italics and quotation marks), where the dates for the complete New Style coinage of Athens are discussed and rearranged on the basis of the calendar”.  My research shows it failed to appear and is never discussed again and thus his re-dating of New Styles should be rejected.

A little piece from my "Sources for research on the New Style coinage of Athens with comments " on academi.edu, and this,

MacDonald, D, “A new Athenian Intercalary tetradrachm”. Schweizer Münzblätter SM (Swiss Numismatic Gazette) 48 192   1998

Intercalary dated coins are important if the Athenian calendar could be understood and it was regularly adhered to. It seems not to have been though. This is a “Caps of Dioscuri” type that is at the earlier portion of the Rome-Pontic times as in Morkholm’s original paper of 1984 (above).

cicerokid:
More for the very few who might be interested in a good argument. I actually endorse it because it is quite helpful to me in my original paper ( from an idea by Ashcroft)
Crown of Iset-Reviewed

The Impact of Jorge W. Muller’s re-dating of the Ephesian cistophori brings its Isiac symbols to a post-Rhodian epiphany date. A previously unrecorded year 42 Ephesian cistaphorus is published. The title has been changed because the original attracted the wrong sort of browser.

Muller, Jorge W., “The chronology of Ephesos revisited”. Schweitzer Munzblatter Band 77   1998

A re-dating of the dated coins of Ephesos on grounds that the Romans only actually controlled  and minted coins in Ephesos five years later than assumed from the bequest of Attalos III. My ideas on the significance of the “Headdress of Isis” symbol in the Rome-Pontic times benefit hugely from his scheme. Opposed by DeCallatay in “More than it would seem….” 2011 below.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version