The Last of the NewStyles

<< < (2/4) > >>

cicerokid:
All my post Sullan's.
Including Stag...the one that got away

Heliodromus:

--- Quote ---All my post Sullans.
--- End quote ---

OK, but try to describe what makes them interesting to someone not familiar with new styles. You seem to want other people to care, but WHY should they care? You have to admit the coins themselves don't offer much variety, so presumably it's the background history that makes them interesting? You tell me! And what makes the post-Sulla coins more interesting than the others?

BTW - what is that thing propping up your shabati? Hopefully nothing too valuable! (some LRBs run into the $1000's, although that thing does look more like a rusty bottle top!).

Carausius:

--- Quote ---GoD this is far more fascinating than a million LRB's , but many or most think not!
--- End quote ---

Agree with Heliodromus - get people excited about New Styles by propping-up New Styles with interesting posts like the substance of your post; not by tearing-down the collecting/research focus of others.  The first approach might attract collectors to your field.  The latter merely offends.

As a Roman Republican collector who happens to be of Greek ancestry, I find this era of Athens history fascinating.  I would like to learn more. 

Your chart above has a column for "tet and drachm die link" can you explain?  Are there verified die links between these denominations?  I've owned one of each and cannot imagine how die links could exist with the great difference in module.  Perhaps you are just referring to links within the denominations?

Virgil H:

--- Quote from: cicerokid on February 19, 2022, 09:01:09 am ---GoD this is far more fascinating than a million LRB's , but many or most think not!

--- End quote ---

I think it is quite relative, one can be fascinated by both. However, not everyone has a large or unlimited budget, so we seek areas of affordability that also interest us. Since I have a wide range of interests, it is quite easy to find areas I enjoy that I can afford. Frankly, to me, all ancients are interesting. My latest area of interest are Macedonian Phillip II naked horsemen with different symbols below the horse.

And, sorry for your loss, I hope you are coping as well as you can be.

Regards,
Virgil

cicerokid:
Heliodorus, you are what I think of as REAL COLLECTORS. who can see through the apparent sameness to appreciate what I cannot. With the NewStyle practically everyone has a different symbol almost certainly picked by the first magistrate, that's a great historical link and easy for us who are not as appreciative of the nuances of more challenging types.
Take my Hygeia. What date is it ? Well it seems the experts know the guy, we are pretty certain he produced 3 issues, probably close together but not consecutively, Mine is the middle issue Diokles TODEY ( Diokles for the 2nd time) if we plum for c47 BC and work upto Beatyl with fillets that doesn't bring us anywhere near 85/4 BC. just after the destruction of Sulla. But we know ( not me Experts) that Diokles was about the mid to late 40's BC. It's all Greek to me. I doubt I could see any further even if I jumped on the shoulders of other numismatists. But what a problem. When did the NewStyle start up again? Is the ethnisckless O Demos really an issue, did the Lucullan coinage and the Two Trophies issue ,again ethnicless, also work as NewStylesa. I look and see if I can find anything in the auctions that might be missed...the answer is out there (start music).

I haven totally failed with the early catalogue and the rome-Pontic and post Sullan era's but it's out there unless finally I give up and settle down and accept long gaps whilst the NewStyle wanes as a personal issue ( most likely). What to make of the Apollo with Lyre issue from the Hierprytena (CRETE) hoard which contained a few late post Sullan coins and other interesting coins like RR denari and a CICERO ( TULLIUS) cistophorus!

What to do?  This is really fascinating and the problem sans solution is before my eyes. With Margaret Thompson's analysis the Barclay Head type of classification proved wrong. Now Margaret Thompsons general era dating is wrong, fascinating... I cant beat it,iot's too alluring. What of the symbols and magistrates names of the Rime-Pontic times Kointos anyone Aristion, and Apellicon-then Thief of Teos...surely they are irresistible?
How do they (if they do) linkem with the other stephanophores, should we consider the NewStyle as a Roman proxy coinage...why are so many NewStyles of 4 issues found in such numbers as to be "significantly over-represented " Balkan hoards. There are more questions than answers.
Gosh I must take a pill and Calm down!

Can you see I'm addicted now As much as anything my motive is to promote others to take up the NewStyle and solve the puzzles, that is my real task!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version