Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Zeus Bremetes?  (Read 722 times)

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
Zeus Bremetes?
« on: February 11, 2022, 06:50:09 pm »
Zeus had many epithets and titles, probably more than any other Greek god, some referring to one of his many attributes, or characteristics, others referring to a particular location in which he was worshiped, the location of a particular cult statue of Zeus. etc. -  https://www.theoi.com/Cult/ZeusTitles.html

In Baktria the Diodotids minted coinage bearing on the reverse the evocative image of Zeus striding l., hurling thunderbolt in r. hand, aegis over extended l. arm, eagle at feet, monogram above eagle (refer example below).

In all the standard references no epithet or title is attached to this depiction of Zeus.

Yet increasingly in numismatic sales the image is referred to as that of 'Zeus Bremetes'.

Can someone enlighten me - what is the origin of the epithet 'Bremetes' and to what attribute, characteristic or location of Zeus does it refer?
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Zeus Bremetes?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 08:24:24 pm »
Perhaps from the word meaning “roar” (bremw) as in roaring of thunder?

Online Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 12:51:44 am »
When I get home I'll look it up in Burkert and see if he says anything about it. I'm not familiar with that epithet myself.

~ Peter

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 03:06:20 am »
As far as I found out Zeus Bremetes just means "Thundering Zeus".

In Frank L. Holt, "Thundering Zeus: The Making of Hellenistic Bactria", Berkeley 1999, he intensively discusses this coin type, calling the thundering Zeus the "dynastic badge" of Diodotos I. But as far as I have seen (I haven't read the book in detail :-\) he never speaks of Zeus Bremetes or of an epithet.
You find a similar wording in articles by Osmund Bopearachchi about this coinage, a thundering Zeus, but no Bremetes :-\.

Additionally I didn't find the epithet Bremetes outside of a commercial context (auction catalogs etc.).

So could this be perhaps rather modern marketing than ancient religion?

Regards

Altamura

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 04:15:04 am »
...I didn't find the epithet Bremetes outside of a commercial context (auction catalogs etc.).

So could this be perhaps rather modern marketing than ancient religion?

I suspect so, and the way the term 'Zeus Bremetes' is used while accompanied by a full description of the iconography suggests as much, for surely the the epithet would encompass the attributes of Zeus expressed in the iconography.  I also note the same epithet is now being applied by some dealers to other depictions of Zeus, be he sitting, standing facing etc. The only common element as far as I can establish is that its related to depictions of Zeus with a thunderbolt in hand.  This then runs up against another epithet 'Zeus Ithomatas' (an example below) the term reflecting a local residency of Zeus derived from the Messenian hill of Ithome, where the god had a sanctuary, and where an annual festival, the Ithomaea, was celebrated in his honor. With the exception of an eagle perched on his extended left arm, rather the Aegis draped over his left arm, this depiction of Zeus Ithomatos could be the frontal view of the so called 'Zeus Bremetes'.

I've done a quite extensive literature search and yet to find any mention of the epithet 'Bremetes' in connection with Zeus, or anyone else for that matter.

As best I can determine it first came into use CNG's attributions and I suspect Molinari might be right that it was derived from 'the word meaning “roar” (bremw) as in roaring of thunder' and thus manufactured in modern times rather than reflective of an ancient epithet.

It would thus fall in the same category as other modern descriptors (rather than genuine epithets) such as Zeus Aëtophoros (eagle in his hand) and Zeus Nikephoros (Nike in his hand)  - modern creations of the numismatic trade.

I would have preferred a true epithet 'Zeus Stratios' (warlike) in this case - more accurately reflecting the times with Baktria under assault from the Parni led by Arsaces who Diodotos I eventually vanquished. Similarly, the Messenians having been freed from enslavement by the Spartans continuously on the defensive against their neighbor. Both Diodotos and the Messenians it appears invoked a warlike thundering Zeus to their protection.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 06:07:36 am »
I would have preferred a true epithet 'Zeus Stratios' (warlike) in this case - more accurately reflecting the times with Baktria under assault from the Parni led by Arsaces who Diodotos I eventually vanquished. Similarly, the Messenians having been freed from enslavement by the Spartans continuously on the defensive against their neighbor. Both Diodotos and the Messenians it appears invoked a warlike thundering Zeus to their protection.

A little off topic, but some interesting background I just uncovered on the 'Zeus Ithomatas' iconography .... 'The reverse type depicts Zeus Ithomatas, the god of Mount Ithome in Messenia. He symbolizes the Messenian will to resist enemies and looks back specifically to the events of 464 BC. In this year, the Messenians (still helots to the Spartans) took advantage of an earthquake to revolt against their Spartan masters. Many of the rebels took up their abode in a fort on Mount Ithome and took to raiding the Spartans. Unable to remove the Messenians from Ithome by force, the Spartans were forced to permit the Athenians to resettle them as free men in Naupaktos. When Epameinondas chose the site for the city of Messene, he chose that of Ithome due to its defensibility and especially due to its symbolic value.' (Numismatica Ars Classica NAC AG 124, 174).

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 11:50:56 am »
I would check A.B. Cook’s Zeus: A Study in Ancient Religion.  If it is a real ancient epithet he’ll have it listed and I believe you can view it free on Google books (it is three volumes, and I believe volume 2 studies Zeus as god of lightning and thunder).

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 12:24:52 pm »
... I would check A.B. Cook’s Zeus: A Study in Ancient Religion. ...
That was among the first things I did :), but there was no Bremetes :(.

Regards

Altamura

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 03:33:37 pm »
Thanks. I now think it’s fairly safe to say that ‘Bremetes’ is not derived from an ancient epithet. Rather a modern creation of the marketing department - a pseudo-epithet which offers no insight into the basis of the religious iconography employed in the coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity