Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

Akarnanian attribution headaches

(1/1)

ZVdP:
The attribution of a couple of Akarnanian coins is giving me some trouble.

There's a nice little series of denominated Akarnanian coins consisting of drachm, triobol and diobol types.

The triobol was listed as federal coinage (possibly Stratos mint) by the auction house. At the time I didn't really dig into it very much until recently when I acquired the drachm as well, but attributed to Herakleia this time.
It seemed rather strange that these two similar types would come from different mints, so I checked my references at hand.

BCD Akarnania also lists the drachm under Herakleia, but the triobol under the uncertain mint section.
HGC on the other hand connects all three types to Alyzeia, saying: 'Abbreviated Greek legends (ΔΡΑ,ΤΡΙ,ΔΙΟ) identify the denominations, but in the absence of a city ethnic these coins were long attributed to an obscure Akarnanian city called Herakleia. Recent work has shown that Alyzeia with its prominent cult of Herakles is a much better choice of mint.'

Unfortunately this 'Recent work' is left unspecified.

Then there is also the other problem of the 'digamma/Acheloos' coins. This was again listed as Federal coinage, but the references seem to disagree again.

BCD mentions: 'the coins with Digamma that were once attributed to Oiniadai are today generally attributed to Stratos as the federal mint'
Historia Numorum agrees: 'For the silver coins with the digamma (F) ... formerly attributed to Oeniadae, see Stratus.'
However HGC basically says the reverse: 'A recent study has convincingly argued that several drachm emissions formerly treated as federal issues of the Akarnanian League struck at Stratos in the late 4th century BC are actually coins of Oiniadai.'
To make things more complicated, HGC also lists similar F/acheloos types under Anaktorion.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the HGC reference series, but it's so frustrating there never are any references to these 'recent studies'...
At least it does mention the gist of the latter study; that we don't have any attestation of Akarnania being written with digamma, but we do for Oiniadai and Anaktorion.

Did anyone by any chance stumble upon any recent studies of Akarnanian coins that I could look into?

Thanks

Altamura:

--- Quote from: ZVdP on February 08, 2022, 09:18:14 pm ---... Don't get me wrong, I really like the HGC reference series, but it's so frustrating there never are any references to these 'recent studies'...
--- End quote ---
The author of HGC is Oliver D. Hoover, you could ask him. Here you find an email address: https://www.academia.edu/52166671/A_Clashed_Seleucid_Obverse_Die_of_Philip_I_Philadelphus

Regards

Altamura

Molinari:
The most recent catalog of these is contained as an appendix to Oliver Dany, Akarnanien im Hellenismus (Beck, 1999).  I haven't read the section on these pre-Hellenistic "Federal" types (not everyone agrees they are Federal types). But for the mint attributions see S. Psoma, "Le monnayage federal acarnanien de l'epouque classique," in KLIO 89 (2007): 7-23.  I'm missing many accents there I know.

Molinari:
 I believe all the ones with F are attributed to Oiniadai, but the ones with T are from various mints (Stratos, Koronta, etc.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version