Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman belt stiffeners?  (Read 540 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Roman belt stiffeners?
« on: January 28, 2022, 11:33:46 am »
I'm quite certain these are belt stiffeners but I was wondering if anyone can tell if these also date to the 2nd mid-early third century? They're not quite the caterpillar type but very similar.
The other item is very likely a hanger for horse harness?

Sorry for bad pictures, lightning in my room isn't the best cheers  +++

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Roman belt stiffeners?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 09:29:06 pm »
The item with loop was likely for a belt and not a horse-harness.  It is Redzic's type XXII v2 and dates circa 120-200 AD.

The other are likely related to the caterpillar type of decoration but are thought to be part of horse-harness not belt decoration.  They are hard to date exactly, ranging from mid-1st to 3rd centuries.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 08:57:16 am »
Cheers Shawn !  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=wreath' target='_blank'>wreath</a>2: +++

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 06:17:41 am »
Hi Kilian

Do you have any information where (which country or area) these items had been found.I have the same found on Balkans .If yours are found somewhere in western Europe this could be some army stuff.Seems like the mold was the same.Usually there is some difference in decorations from province to province and this looks like identical

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 09:12:06 am »
Quote from: nikopolis1 on January 31, 2022, 06:17:41 am
Hi Kilian

Do you have any information where (which country or area) these items had been found.I have the same found on Balkans .If yours are found somewhere in western Europe this could be some army stuff.Seems like the mold was the same.Usually there is some difference in decorations from province to province and this looks like identical

Hey! Yes these are balkan (Bulgaria) finds and indeed military :D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity