Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ANS Coin Photography using a mobile phone  (Read 740 times)

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
ANS Coin Photography using a mobile phone
« on: January 14, 2022, 03:54:08 pm »
Yes, it's true: The American Numismatic Society uses a mobile phone to photograph coins that they sell on their merchant's storefront.

The story was told in an ANS article published in their 'pocket change' online blog (here) and retold in the Numismatic Bibliomania Society in their weekly blog (here).  Not what I was expecting, but it makes sense. The whole process is kept, ideally, to five minutes per coin. It's all very economical. Personally, I shoot a dozen coins and their tags over something like half an hour, and try to keep processing time down to two minutes per coin, not including the batch process to import the photos and merge multiple exposures in high dynamic range (HDR).

I like that they transfer files wirelessly to their PC for photoprocessing and use a neutral gradient background on the finished product.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: ANS Coin Photography using a mobile phone
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 02:03:46 pm »
Interestingly, they only do this for e-bay ads.  Their cataloguing setup is apparently much more complex.

Still, those are some nice images for a cell phone.  I notice they are also well backlighting the coins to cut down on post-processing requirements. 
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 10:02:49 am »
I notice that it makes many of the coins look tooled.  Something about the resolution.  I have seen that with one or two small dealers too.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 10:30:38 am »
I don't know if it's what you are referring to, but lighted photography, like flashes, modelling lights, etc can make normal circulation scratching look more pronounced in certain circumstances.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity