Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nerva Silver Denarius Revisited  (Read 297 times)

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
Nerva Silver Denarius Revisited
« on: January 09, 2022, 12:17:22 am »
I’m in the habit of revisiting my gallery and re-editing my collection. The RIC II Nerva 2 denarius is one of my personal favourites because of the boldly and sharply struck laureate bust of the elderly Nerva. It’s beautifully toned and the first of my Five Good Emperors collection. I’ve inserted the off-flan and illegible parts of the legends in square brackets. The first letters of “Harmony” and “Army” have been capitalised to give some prominence to the close alliance between the army, navy and emperor that the coin promotes. It helps that the two translated words coincidentally rhyme!

Nerva (18 Sep 96 - 25 Jan 98 AD), Silver Denarius, RIC II 2, RSC II 16, BMCRE III 6, BnF III 3, Hunter I 2, SRCV II -, gVF, boldly and sharply struck on good metal, nicely toned, minor marks, obverse and reverse slightly off-centre, some legends off-flan, weight 2.98g, maximum diameter 17.0mm, die axis 210°, Rome mint, 19 Sep - Dec 96 AD; obverse IMP N[ERVA CAES AVG] P M TR P COS II P P, laureate head right; reverse [CONCOR]DIA EXERCITVVM (Harmony with the Army), clasped hands.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity