Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

Help with Alex the Great Price 266

<< < (2/3) > >>

Virgil H:
Thank you very much for the additional info, esnible. I have noticed that there are both differences between coins with the same references and similarities with some with different references. That makes it difficult for sure.

Regards,
Virgil

Altamura:

--- Quote from: esnible on November 11, 2021, 01:39:07 pm ---... I don't know how these are distinguished. ...
--- End quote ---

At first: The pictures and the details of the descriptions in PELLA are sometimes not correct :-\.

Then generally
- there is made a difference between "bow and quiver" and "bow in bowcase" (meaning a gorytos),
- there is made a difference whether the bow is above the legende or below (while turning the reverse in the way you can read the legend),
- there is made a difference whether the handle of the club (the thinner end) is on the right or on the left.

Price 319A has a monogram.

Regards

Altamura

Virgil H:
I see the monogram on 319A. What I find fascinating about these coins is how much variation there is among coins under the same reference number, particularly 266 and 268. For example, examples of club on top and club on bottom. Variations on what the bow/quiver look like. Most clubs are right (business end of club), but some are left. I am no expert, obviously, but if I were classifying a big pile of these coins from scratch, I would have at least four separate numbers, maybe more, and I am talking only about the coins with no monograms, control marks, etc. I am perhaps way too anal about identifying my coins and I also recognize when I just have to say "unknown" for something, but this is the stuff that drives me crazy. I am going with Price 266, unknown mint.

Thank you all for the comments and discussion, this is just what I was hoping for.

Regards,
Virgil

Altamura:

--- Quote from: Virgil H on November 11, 2021, 04:26:02 pm ---... how much variation there is among coins under the same reference number, particularly 266 and 268. ...
--- End quote ---
Again: The pictures and descriptions in PELLA are quite often not correct :(. You have to look into Price's book, and even there it is not always completely clear  :-\.

But Price is as it is, you won't change that anymore :).

Regards

Altamura

djmacdo:
Virgil,

I like that you do your own research before asking for help.  There are some who do not.

Mac

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version