Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Aspendos stater with countermark  (Read 807 times)

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
Aspendos stater with countermark
« on: October 18, 2021, 06:02:07 am »
Hello ladies and gentlemen.
I have added a coin I always wanted in my collection - an Aspendos stater with wrestlers and slinger. Usually they are expensive so I'm glad I found one, not in the best condition but I find it excellent.
Managed to attribute it as Tekin Series 2 - that's a plus - as far as I know these are not very common.

However what puzzles me completely is the reverse countermark. Does anybody know what that is? I think I exhausted all the options I could think of - helmet; trident; cista mystica.
Today a thought crossed my mind - an antelope with a dolphin between the horns?! but I cannot find a similar countermark.

Note - I posted this on a different board also, if I get an answer I will post it here. I still hope somebody will be able to narrow it down - from what I read, there are countless Aspendos countermarks and there isn't a paper to centralize them (if it is, I am interested in finding out more info regarding this subject)
Many thanks in advance.

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
Re: Aspendos stater with countermark
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 09:04:24 am »
Could it be a tripod?

There are a LOT of countermarks on these, I don't know of an online list.

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 01:43:33 pm »
Thank you.
It is a possibility.
In the personal catalogue my description for this coin in regards to the countermark is "unknown".
In the meantime I received it (when posting, it was still on the road). I was hoping in hand it will look more clear. Nope.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 02:44:25 pm »
Could iut be a sacrificial fire issueing from a bowl?
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 02:46:48 pm »
That's another possibility.
For me, the closest match is a horned animal with something between the horns.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity