Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Garbled Greek in My Gallery  (Read 492 times)

Offline Schatz

• Consul
Garbled Greek in My Gallery
« on: October 13, 2021, 10:58:12 am »
Hello,
I checked my gallery again the other day and noticed that in the description of some of my more recent entries the Greek legends were scrambled with “unGreek” symbols.  Suspecting that a website update was to blame I tried to find a fix in the Help section but was unable to do so.  All tweaks and keyboard strokes I could think of were of no use.  I wonder if someone had a similar experience and managed to solve the Greek letter mystery.

Earlier today I tried to send this message from my less than a year old iMac with the latest Safari software.  I was unable to do so.  Pressing the Post button resulted in frozen pages and the message was never sent.  What is happening there?

I would appreciate good advice.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Garbled Greek in My Gallery
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 12:55:45 pm »
Quote from: Schatz on October 13, 2021, 10:58:12 am
Hello,
I checked my gallery again the other day and noticed that in the description of some of my more recent entries the Greek legends were scrambled with “unGreek” symbols.  Suspecting that a website update was to blame I tried to find a fix in the Help section but was unable to do so.  All tweaks and keyboard strokes I could think of were of no use.  I wonder if someone had a similar experience and managed to solve the Greek letter mystery.

A known problem, easy to solve. The strange symbols appear only in the gallery overviews.

Open a single coin view > Press "Edit description" > Click "Apply changes" without changing anything > Go back to the gallery overview > refresh (F5) > problem solved for this coin.

Unfortunately you have to this for every coin with this problem.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 01:34:58 pm »
We had another gallery security update today.  We will have to see what impacts we have.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Schatz

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 02:38:54 pm »
Thanks,

Joe and shanxi.  The advice was good and simple, I will set about going through my gallery now and re-Greek my entries.
Perhaps the new security update will take care of the frozen iMac discussion page, who knows, computers move in mysterious ways.

Schatz

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 05:56:37 pm »
Same thing has happened to mine but not to all the Greek, only a select few.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 04:53:45 pm »
Thousands of attempted hacks almost everyday now, from multiple locations. They are not getting through to anything important. They are not getting information, only attempting to destroy things. Regardless we keep adding additional layers of security to protect even things like our discussions here. Unfortunately the added security can have impacts on what we do. If something stops working report it here and we will get it fixed as soon as possible.   

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity