Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown Greek Coin Set  (Read 877 times)

Jj W

Unknown Greek Coin Set
« on: October 06, 2021, 04:03:30 pm »

(I'm pasting this same intro into all my first posts to level set. Thanks for your patience)
-----------------

Hello all,

I'm new here.  Please be kind :)

So I recently found out about auctions for ancient coins and artifacts.  I've mostly just been buying things that feel interesting or give me a good feeling.  I have always loved archeology and history, and also been a minor coin collector since childhood.

I'm not really collecting as an investment, more as a form of time travel.  I just love touching and holding these objects and imagining who may have held it when it was newer.  Having some kind of historical context to these objects is what I am mostly after. 

Also, I am strongly interested in attempting to restore everything to as close to what it looked like when it was new(er).  I don't want to destroy anything, but I also do want to be "aggressive" in the restoration efforts in an attempt to do so.

-----------------

So with this unknown coin ($100) I'm looking for

1. Any info you all might think about it.
     a. There was literally no description for it at all.
     b. The largest one is the size of maybe 3 silver dollars stacked up, but has an odd small dimple in the middle like it was attempted to drill through, but just a little.
2. Best advice to attempt to restore it.
     a. I can attempt some better photos if you guys think it's needed.  There are heads clearly visible on all of them and don't seem in terrible shape.

Thank you for reading and I really do appreciate your time and look forward to learning more and being part of your community.

All the best,
JJ Walker

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Unknown Greek Coin Set
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 06:22:19 pm »
Our rules require you to post only one coin per thread.  Nobody can help you with so many coins in the photos. It is too hard.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Jj W

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 06:39:03 pm »
Our rules require you to post only one coin per thread.  Nobody can help you with so many coins in the photos. It is too hard.

Apologies Joe.  It came as a set so it didn't occur to me to post separately.  I'll repost.

Jj W

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 11:49:12 am »

Sorry to ask, but I've spent almost a half hour trying to find the "board rules" and it escapes me.  Would you be able to point me to it?  I'm sure it's somewhere obvious that I'm just not bright enough to see.

Also, the "fakes" section mentions in all caps that there is a fakes search tool but I cannot find that either.  I think it's going to take me some time to acclimate :D

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 01:16:32 pm »

Jj W

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 03:25:06 pm »
Thank you

All coins are guaranteed for eternity