Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

Unknown Greek coin 1

<< < (5/5)

Joe Sermarini:
Jj W registered with a fake name and address. Troll or not, he is gone now. 

PMah:
I think I was the "rude" guy.  I confess. I hoped he was asking questions in good faith, because we need more ancient coin collectors,  but I had a strong sense that he was misrepresenting his interest. My professional work often nvolves people who deceive other people, usually for money.
      It is difficult to convey how I get a sense that someone is misrepresenting their situation.  Some of you do not use English as your first language and so my explanation may be hard to follow, but when someone writes evasively in English in response to direct questions or direct guidance, one gets a sense that they are hoping someone will write words that they can use to justify an outcome that has nothing to do with the question.  English is a great language for being clear IF you want to be clear, and also great for being evasive.
  By the way, I adopted "he", but, "on the internet, no one knows you're a dog."   Keep that in mind when responding to people who seem to want something.

Virgil H:
PMah,
I can see where you are coming from. I can be very naive. What you say has merit in thinking about his or her posts, plus what Joe said. I am not at all surprised he is gone. And probably for the best.

Regards,
Virgil

Altamura:

--- Quote from: PMah on October 14, 2021, 07:50:21 pm ---... My professional work often nvolves people who deceive other people, usually for money. ...
... It is difficult to convey how I get a sense that someone is misrepresenting their situation.  ...
... one gets a sense that they are hoping someone will write words that they can use to justify an outcome that has nothing to do with the question.  ...
--- End quote ---
Interesting telediagnosis.

Regards

Altamura

SC:
In the Oil Lamps section Strobilius (the moderator and renowned oil lamp expert) was even more direct - he found the same thing as others did and called "him" on it.

Whether true troll or someone who just desperately wanted to be told he was "right" despite all the contrasting opinions and experience is something I doubt we will ever know.

But what Joe found out serves as the proverbial nail in the coffin either way.

SC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version