Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

Unknown Greek coin 1

<< < (4/5) > >>

Meepzorp:

--- Quote from: Jj W on October 08, 2021, 11:52:54 am ---I'm actually not sure this is the right forum for me.  I didn't realize that the focus here was retail, I thought it was just a group of people who enjoyed discussing and sharing these sorts of things.  I'm not really interested in selling anywhere or buying from collectors.  I'm more interested in the history and imagination aspect.

--- End quote ---

Hi Jj,

Why do you feel that this is not the right forum for you? Please don't feel that way. You just made some "rookie mistakes", like a rookie quarterback in the NFL. These were minor mistakes. They weren't serious offenses. Believe me, if you committed serious offenses, owner Joe would let you know about it. This is all part of the learning process. We are all glad to have you here. Everyone is welcome.

As Alta pointed out, there are some "boundary conditions" (or parameters) that you need to abide by. It keeps Forum running smoothly. It prevents people from "clogging up the works" with useless nonsense.

Why do you feel that the focus here is on retail? Noting could be further from the truth. The antithesis of that is true. Buying and selling is prohibited here (in the general Forum), except in limited areas and conditions. This is an academic/intellectual message board. In fact, that is one of the reasons why we don't discuss prices here, because owner Joe doesn't want the discussion to degenerate into what people feel coins are worth. Here, the focus is on the coins, intellectually and academically.

It is good that you are interested in the history aspect of the coins. So is everyone else here. Apparently, you are not seeing that these rules are in place to ensure that.

Meepzorp

Jj W:
Much appreciated Meep.  I did try here.  And I can very much understand the various restrictions.  I mean if you're running a store selling items at a certain price, it makes sense to restrict discussion of prices of similar items bought elsewhere.  Also makes sense to remove prices of sold items too.  Also where you bought, etc etc.  I'd do the exact same thing if this were my shop. 

Some members here seem really great and I've had some nice conversations and incredible attributions that I am amazed they've found.   I've also had some incredibly rude replies as well.  Just overall doesn't fit for me here.  But thank you very much for reaching out.

Meepzorp:

--- Quote from: Jj W on October 13, 2021, 02:21:57 pm ---I mean if you're running a store selling items at a certain price, it makes sense to restrict discussion of prices of similar items bought elsewhere.

--- End quote ---

Hi Jj W,

As I mentioned above, that is not then reason why owner Joe doesn't want prices discussed here in Forum. The reason is that he doesn't want the discussion to degenerate into an argument over what different people feel a coin is worth. That is "useless nonsense". Here, the discussion is about the coins (academically and intellectually), not the prices.

Meepzorp

Meepzorp:

--- Quote from: Jj W on October 13, 2021, 02:21:57 pm ---I've also had some incredibly rude replies as well.

--- End quote ---

Hi Jj W,

Who was rude to you? I didn't notice any rude posts.

Perhaps you mistook passion for rudeness? Some Forum members are very passionate about their coins and also the "haven" that Forum is. Forum is unlike many places on the internet, and we want to keep it that way.

Meepzorp

Virgil H:
Hi Jj W,
I hope you are still here to read this because I don't want you to feel you should leave the forum because this is simply the best coin forum on the Internet. Sometimes people here can be brutally honest and that may come across as rudeness, I can understand that a new person might take some things that way. I would also not disagree that there are perhaps too many rules. LOL. But, I also realize that maybe all these rules keep this a very serious site devoted to ancient coins and you are not going to find the level of expertise that is here anywhere else. I am constantly amazed by the quality of posts here and how many true experts there are who give their advice and knowledge freely. There is very little of this on the Internet any longer. And this is indeed a forum that is focused on intellectual aspects of coin collecting and the history of ancient coins, as well as identification help and an extensive fake coin repository that protects us all. Anyway, I just wanted to say you and all serious collectors are welcome here. Hang in there, those who you think might have been rude are just passionate about this field and a few are old curmudgeons like me with not enough tact. This forum is provided by Joe, who has a coin shop, but the forum is not about his shop and his coins for sale, it is separate. Yet, we do understand that he is providing a service to us at his own expense and I understand why there are rules about other sellers. I would actually pay to be a member here if that was needed to keep this Forum going, it is that important to me. So, I buy coins from his shop when he has ones I want and that I can afford. And I am very comfortable in knowing I will get authentic coins when I do so. It is a win-win as I see it and I buy coins from other places, as well.

Anyway, I hope you stick around.

Regards,
Virgil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version