Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Franke Hirmer 1964  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Franke Hirmer 1964
« on: October 02, 2021, 07:54:11 am »
Does anyone have a copy of Franke and Hirmer’s Die Griechischen Muenzen (Munich, 1964)?  On Plate 10, no. 29, there is an extremely rare coin from Katane.  I’d like to get a clearer picture and know its basic details, including what collection it resides in.  Any help much appreciated. All I have is a blurry shot of the reverse.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Franke Hirmer 1964
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 11:29:41 am »
The coin on your picture is Franke & Hirmer plate 10 number 31. Attached you find the pictures (the best I could do :-\) and the description.

But this coin has also been described in Christof Boehringer, "Rekonstruktion des Schatzfundes von Ognina 1923", SNR 57 (1978), pp. 102-143:
https://www.e-periodica.ch/cntmng?pid=snr-003%3A1978%3A57%3A%3A293
The coin here is number 17 on page 174 and shown on plate 30.

It is today in the collection of the  Museo Archeologico Regionale Paolo Orsi in Syracuse, Italy, see here on page 28:
https://www.academia.edu/3204673/G_Guzzetta_La_collezione_numismatica

Regards

Altamura

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Franke Hirmer 1964
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 12:03:13 pm »
Excellent—thank you!  I was searching for a bronze unit.  The author I was reading said nothing about the coin’s specific attributes and seems to have listed the wrong number anyhow.  Perhaps it isn’t as rare as I originally thought.

This was very helpful, thank you.  And what a spectacular coin!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity