Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal of Ioannes Hexamilites late 11th Century  (Read 855 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Seal of Ioannes Hexamilites late 11th Century
« on: May 09, 2021, 06:38:37 am »
I just acquired an interesting addition to my Ioannes/John Byzantine seal collection  It is a seal of Ioannes Hexamilites, patrikios, hypatos and judge of the Hippodrome and of Opsikion, 11th Century 24 mm, 9.82 g, 12 h. 
Obverse:  The Mother of God seated facing on a cushioned and backless throne, holding infant Christ on her lap.
Reverse:.[+ΘKЄ R,HΘ, / IⲰ ΠPI VΠA/TⲰ] KPITH [TOV] / IΠΠOΔPOM[૪ S] / TOV OΨIKI[OV] / TW ЄΞAMIΛ, / *TH* in seven lines.

DO Seals III 39.14. Alexandra-Kyriaki Wassiliou: Die Familie Hexamilites. Ein Beitrag zur Byzantinischen Prosopographie, in: Hellenika 52 (2002) 

The Dumbarton Oaks collection has two examples of this seal.  BZS.1951.31.5.386 and BZS.1955.1.3052  Their online catalogue states that a "udge of the Hippodrome named Hexamilites is mentioned in two of the more recent chapters of the Peira (7,16; 41,9). He could be identical to the owner of the present seal. "

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity