Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Portrait of Esau on Roman tessera  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Portrait of Esau on Roman tessera
« on: May 06, 2011, 03:30:44 am »
I recently purchased this amazing lead tessera (18.3mm)showing, according to the inscription ECAY, an idealized portrait of the Biblical figure,  "rough" hunter Esau, son of Isaac and brother of Jacob.
The fabric of this tessera suggests a provenance in Asia Minor, the region of Ephesos, where many lead tesserae originate. The style, to me at least, suggests a date c. 2nd/3rd century AD.
My guess is that this remarkable piece was commissioned by a Hellenized Edomite, living in Asia Minor, who, in the line of good ancient tradition, wanted to show his ancestral ties to Esau.
Regards
Gert

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Portrait of Esau on Roman tessera
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 09:21:15 am »
How interesting! I had to look up who he was. I wonder how a figure from Jewish tradition made it on to a Roman coin? Very good addition!

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 10:33:18 am »
Thanks for the comment, Chris. I should have added that Esau is indeed a Biblical figure, whose name is featured in both Testaments.
In antiquity, he was regarded as the progenitor of the Edomite people. The portrait on this tessera is most likely intended as a sort of 'founder hero', of which many were known and honored in the Graeco-Roman world. This would have been done by a Hellenized Edomite living in Asia Minor.
Regards
Gert

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 05:53:00 pm »
He is in Jewish tradition, but an Edomite would be far more likely to use the image of his ancestor. An Israelite would surely have used Jacob, the ancestor of his own people.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity