Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Lead Seal with Monogram  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
Byzantine Lead Seal with Monogram
« on: March 18, 2011, 04:27:47 pm »
Hi All,

Thanks so much for all for all of your help with the coins I posted earlier in the week for identification and/or confirmation.  Hope I am not overstaying my welcome, but I have a few more Byzantines that have been giving me fits, starting with this lead seal/bulla.

Obv: Nimbate bust
Rev: Monogram, but I could find a match on Numiswiki.  There were a couple of close ones, but none seemed to match the N-K in the middle
Weight: 8.17g
Diameter: 16 - 20mm

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Cliff
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Byzantine Lead Seal with Monogram
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:30:47 pm »
Hi Cliff,
For monograms on Byzantine seals the Numiswiki page is pretty much useless. The reason is that these monograms on seals are personal monograms of the seal's owners, not imperial monograms of emperor's names. There are hundreds of different monograms published and thousands exist.
Your seal, however, has a monogram that can be solved NIKOLAOV, the genitive of Nicholas, who would have been the owner of the seal, assuming the letter at the bottom extremity is Alpha (and Lambda at the same time, of course).
The portrait on the obverse can well be Saint Nicholas as well, but from the photo I can't say for sure. For this time period (6th/7th century AD) St. Nicholas is quite rare, but with the reading of the monogram in mind, it would be a good guess.
Regards
Gert

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
Re: Byzantine Lead Seal with Monogram
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 05:26:02 pm »
Hey, thanks, Gert for the informative response!  Sorry it took me a few days to reply.  I was off the grid (numismatically) all weekend. 
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

All coins are guaranteed for eternity