Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Aristanetos seal of the day  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Aristanetos seal of the day
« on: October 02, 2010, 06:59:30 am »
The style of this portrait of a slightly balding middle-aged man with sideburns suggests a date in the early 4th century. It is the personal seal of a man called Aristanetos, as the Greek genitive legend indicates.
In late Roman and early Byzantine times there are many personal seals that feature the portrait of the owner. Many of them are not known from other sources (I still have to check this Aristanetos), but I think these named portraits of individuals who must have held high ranks in their day are fascinating.
19.5mm; 10.02g; conical shape
Regards
Gert

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
Re: Aristanetos seal of the day
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 12:41:36 pm »
thats pretty neat

Offline Mark Z

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 01:52:40 am »
Was this used to seal something like a letter using wax?

mz

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 02:31:51 am »
Really nice portrait.
I have heard that lead seals were used to shut money bags. The portrait shows the owner as Gert has already said. Although it is a private seal, I think all the men (also women???) who are shown on such seals, have been influential and rich persons.

Best Regards

kc

Offline gb29400

• Caesar
  • Your life is what your thoughts make it ! M.Aurel
    • GbCollection
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 11:04:58 am »
really nice, congrats

All coins are guaranteed for eternity