Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lead Seals  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Lead Seals
« on: June 04, 2010, 07:31:47 pm »
Last month I won an auction lot that included 67 Byzantine coins and 2 lead seals.  I have never purchased any lead seals before, and I do not have any references.  Does anyone have any idea what these are??? 

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Lead Seals
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 02:59:38 pm »
Hi,
The first piece is indeed a Byzantine seal of the 6th-7th century showing a facing bust of the Virgin holding Christ. The reverse has a monogram of, normally, the owner's name. I think you maybe have to turn it 90 degrees, so you have Theta in the middle, E at the left and K at the right extremity.  These monograms as a rule have all the letters of the owner's name in its genitive form, so attribution depends on what you can read at the other extremeties. Names with these letters include Theoktistos and Theophylaktos, but of course there are more possibilities.
The other piece is not a seal but a pendant/amulet showing the god Abraxas. The other side shows his name as IAW. There are numerous lead amulets and engraved gems showing this iconography.
Regards
Gert

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 02:47:20 am »
Thank you for the information.  Can you recommend any good references?

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 12:15:57 pm »
The main reference for this period of seals is the 4 volume corpus by Zacos/Veglery 'Byzantine Lead Seals'. You might want to check some libraries, as this work is quite impossible to buy. Then there's Cheynet and Morrison 'Sceaux Byzantins de la collection Henri Seyrig', which is easier to purchase, and Laurent's 'La Collection C. Orghidan', which is also heavy on monograms. Zacos II, like vol. I also beautifully published, is currently available through M&M in Germany is the main reference for the later centuries.
Of course the DO books are also readily available for purchase, but they are useless for these monogrammatic seals as these books only list seals bearing place names (except Vol VI with imperial and patriarchal seals), not just individuals. Next to these there are a couple of minor references.

But finding a reference for a non-imperial seal is relatively hard - there thousands of them that basically are all very rare... many are still unpublished.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity